Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Trout Cook -EVER! Tips & Recipes PLEASE

Options
APeoples
APeoples Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never cooked trout. Not on the BGE or any other way. I've got 4 10-12" 2-3lb hybrid trout with skin still on that I've been dying to cook. As far as cleaning goes, I only gutted them, so right now I have whole fish. So here's my request: a trout cooking primer if you will...I welcome all recipes and suggestions!

Do I leave the skin on? Should I filet the fish or leave them whole?

I do not have a wok or a skillet that my wife will allow me to mess up, just the BGE w/standard grill. Is that okay or will I lose my main course through the grate? (they're about a foot long each).

Recipes? I'm thinking lemon something...maybe blackened? I do not even know where to start!

Is there a way to visually tell if the fish are done? I plan to use my thermometer, but there may also be signs of done that I dont know anything about.

Please offer as much help as you can, and at least one or two good recipes!

Thanks Everyone!

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I sent you an email.

Mark
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Whenever I do any fish filets that will flake like trout, I do them indirect on a raised grid about 350. Simply season them with your favorite rub and place on grid. You will not need to turn. If you leave the skin on, place them skin side down. When they are done, remove grid and fish and place on Aluminum foil. The foil will catch any flakes that fall through while you are serving. I always sprits with I can’t believe its not butter just before removing from egg.
    Two things to I recommend are, 1. Make sure your grid is very clean and oiled and 2. You do not need much smoke for great fish. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I egged my first trout last week -- and had a bone stuck in my throat for nearly a day.

Sorta overwhelms and fond memories of the trout...

:sick::sick::sick:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    With trout always keep some of that good bread you make handy.

Kent
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I feel your pain Broc, that’s exactly why I do filets 99.999999% of the time. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would leave the skin on, salt pepper the inside, maybe a squirt of lemon. roll in flour withsome spice mixed in and just fry in butter. if the fish were 3 pounds or bigger i have a stuffed trout recipe thats great in the egg, but for those i would cook them stove top in butter, they will be better that way. cook them til they just start to flake with a fork, a little over 140 degree internal should do it, but go by looks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • APeoples
    APeoples Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll try them out and try to post pics of how it turned out.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    These were boneless, skin on. Just kissed it. Butter, salt, pepper and lemon. A little alder wood for smoke.
    trout5.jpg

Blackened Catfish.

ctfish3.jpg

Mike