Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE EGGcessories

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am hoping to take the plunge and purchase a Large BGE in the next couple of months. I hope to contribute to this forum and post many pics.

I'm sure this has been asked, but what would you recommend as must have EGGcessories?
I plan to do a lot of ribs and indirect cooking. Also, I thought I saw someone post a link that shows how to build a table. I looked at the side extensions, but they don't look like they would hold much.

Thanks for your help!

BeerBQ

Comments

• MS_STATE_Dawg
    Options
    Welcome to the site Beer

I made a table and posted a picture of it on here last month. I'm sure Naked Whiz will give you a post and explanation of his site, but I wanted to send you the link to the website

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/

Plenty of pictures on that site and great information. If I knew how to get a link to other original postings on this site I would have done so after a brief search.

Either way, you can't go wrong with any questions on the forum. Everyone is very helpful.

We especially like pictures!! Best of luck.
  • Mojo1
    Mojo1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am a newbie too , just got my egg last week ,so far I have the instantThermapen thermomete on orderr , grill extender,and also looking into what else I need. I did pick up a cheap rib rack and its seems OK. But Iam all ears .... :woohoo:
  • MS_STATE_Dawg
    Options
    Beer and Mojo,

I happen to find my Platesetter is an accessory that I use quite a lot. A decent thermometer is a must
    Using good lump charcoal is key, as well as good meat. Other than that, I'm sure others can give some more advice.
    I know there's other postings on this topic, but I don't exactly know how to post a link. Might want to search for them though.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Only been egging but recently ordered the adjustable rig/spider combo. Used it twice so far.
    Pizza stone is a good add-on.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I have the adjustable rig with spider and BBQ Guru. Both are great!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If I had it to do over again I would probably get the adjustable rig and spider. Add a pizza stone.

I don't think I would get a plate setter if I got the above.

GG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i have this and the bge large pizza stone as well as a plate setter for indirect.

i want this stuff next

BUT your first eggcessory should be a thermopen. learn how to control egg temp and when meat is cooked to temp. the thermopen made me a better cook and was recommended to me as a first purchase by a competition egger. i am glad i fgollowed his advice
    bill
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    As a relative mewbie myself I recommend the plate setter, a pizza stone if you are going to do pies, really long tongs, and a good thermometer. After you start messing around you'll figure out what you need may not be the same as what I need. That's half the fun of the egg, you get to visit the dealer on a regular basis and get new stuff. Good Luck.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I would also recommend a pair of welder's glove the longer the better to protect you from flashbacks and handling hot items.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Beyond what everybody else has recommended I would get the ash tool and grid lifter. They do not come with the Egg unless your dealer puts them in some sort of package deal. Also need to think how you want to light the charcoal, wax starters, torch, chimmney, etc. A cover is also another accessory to think of. Some cover and some don't.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ashtool, welders gloves and thermapen I use on pretty much every cook. I use a pair of pliers as a grid lifter.

Plate setter for indirect cooks and raised grid are both good too. I always use the raised grid for chicken parts or spatchcock chicken.

If you intend to roast anything or cook anything overnight (pulled pork) or brisket, get a remote thermometer. I like the maverick http://www.partshelf.com/maet73.html
    but you can get a cheap one to try out for $15 or less.

There's a LOT of things you can get, what you should get depends on how you intend to use it. I also like cooking in a wok with a spider on the Egg, but I don't get to do it as much as I would like.

A light for nighttime cooking is excellent too, but wait and see if you need one first.

I like the vertical stands for roasting chickens too, but that's all they do is cook birds.

You can cook out in the Egg in ANY weather, however, if you have it in a table that you built, you might not want to have the table out and uncovered in any weather.

I have a seafood and veggie grill that I have used several times, but I'm still not sure if it was the right way to go.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    First, there are the EGG accessories. I platesetter is always good for the indirect cooks. In fact, I was a bit intimidated by the EGG at first and used my platesetter for my first couple of cooks.

Plate-Setter.gif

The next is an ash tool and grid lifter. The ash tool is needed to clean out your ash and the grid lifter will help you take off the got gird.

Also, there is the grill exteneder. This has two purposed. First is increase your space. Second is to get the cook a little further from the fire. The second really does make quite a difference.

Grill-Extender.gif

You will also need some good gloves. The changing out accessories mid cook can be a killer. I almost burned my hand off picking up a hot platesetter with a Pampered Chef grill glove. Most everyone has these:

31EgovjX5RL._AA280_.jpg

For me, I spent the first couple of months using the BGE firestarters to start the EGG. I have recently bought a MAPP torch which has decreased my prep time in half.

Personally, I have had my EGG since October and believe that I have spent more on accessories that I did not the EGG. This would include a sittin' chicken

steamer-chicken-display.jpg

A V-Rack

V-Rack.gif

A chicken wing rack (which is great in smoking drums)

master:BH013.jpg

A great one for brick oven style pizza is the pizza stone. Note that this is used with the platesetter (feet down). A 600 degree pizza in the EGG is a very special thing.

Baking-Stones.gif

and the ultimate must, a BGE table. I do not know what I would do without this workspace. In fact, I have landscape bricks on the rails around it to hold hot accessories that I pull out of the EGG.

Long%20Table.jpg

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Greg
  • BeerBQ
    Options
    Thank you for all the great replies!
  • BeerBQ
    Options
    Ok dumb question...If I were to build the table or something similar to Naked Whiz's, how exactly would one lower the egg into the hole? Doesn't the Large BGE weigh like 150 lbs?