Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey

Options
61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I have seen some post about wild turkey before but never paid to much attention to them. Then this morning neighbor stopped by with a frozen wild turkey and said would you smoke this for me. can anyone give me any advice on this or can I do it just as common turkey?
.Gerry

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Wild turkeys are extremely lean. So take that into account when cooking. I would think about brining it to add moisture. Keep in mind that a brined bird will cook much, much faster. I would follow Mad Max's recipe but I would cover the breast with bacon strips after you ice chill it. HTH.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Also wild turkeys actually use their legs and wings, unlike the domestic ones. So the only part realy edible will be the breast. Legs and wings will be very tough and a lot more tendons & sinew than domestic ones. Definately go with Big'uns suggestion to brine. Hope this helps.
    Tom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive never cooked one, but this is the recipe i would use, its got a herbed up bacon onion paste that goes under the skin. with a regular bird its almost like a stuffing when cooked that you scrape off the skin to eat. the cooking temp in the recipe is to low, get it up to about 300 dome for the cook.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=68&func=detail&id=137
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    I have nevert Egged one. I have cooked one in an electric smoker and it turned out perfect. I don't remember much about the legs and wings but the rest of the bird was wonderful. It tasted just like a regular turkey. A friend of mine shot it with a bow. We didn't know what to expect but it was fine. I didn't do anything more than a good rub, no water in the smoker pan, cooked it about 4 hours on the electric smoker. If I can remember it was about a 14 pounder or so,,,,, Average size.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I have it in the fridge thawing now. I"ll try to send pics and results. As far as I can tell all I have is two breasts
    Gerry
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    If that is all you got, sure it was not a hen? :laugh: :laugh: