Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted Tomatoes

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not been on hardly at all! We are still at our place in Fl and I do not have wireless at the house. :angry: So I have to golf cart over to the parents LOL. But we have been just loving our used Med we got down here from Geoff! Last night I did roasted peppers to freeze and take home to Maine with us and after they were done I did "melted" tomatoes. We just took some nice fresh red ones. sliced then into three slices. drizzled them with EVO and sprinkled Italian seasoning on them. I used the pizza stone to lay them out on. We took the egg down to 225 and left them there for about 4 hours. almost dried but still moist. to dye for!!! they will be going on pizzas today with the roasted peppers that I did not freeze. life is good. I hear from home that the snow is gone. I really did not think that would happen till July. We head home next week and look forward to Maine again ! LOL Julie

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Wondered if you'd been eaten by a gator! Good to hear from you.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    got a BIL living in Caribou. 180+ inches of snow. sheesh. guy is nuts.

Anyway, the tomato idea sounds great. do they blacken?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea.Egg dried tomatoes.I wonder if he cuts it up or uses the whole slice?Have to try this out.
  • Essex County
    Options
    My wife does tomatoes kind of like that. She cuts roma tomatoes in half, sprinkles them with salt, pepper and evoo. Then she roasts them at 250 for a long time. They get stored in a container that's topped off with olive oil. Fantastic for pasta, pizza or anything needing gooey, concentrated tomatoes!
    Paul
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one Chubby posted a few years ago and I have done a couple of times. Great snack w/cheese and crackers.

Tomatoes, Dried, Chubby

Yesterday...I had the most wonderful smelling house...if you're Itallian, or Itallian at heart!!In order to get better flavor from tomatos this time of year I occassionally watch for Roma's (on sale), buy a bunch, and spend a couple days slow roasting/drying them to concentrate the flavors!!Pretty simple..

1 Slice lengthways....scoop out most of the seeds and juice.
    2 Drizzle with "good" Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic.
    3 Sprinkle with diced garlic, fresh ground black pepper, grey salt, sweet basil... and thyme.
    4 Slow roast on a cooling rack over a sheet (or jelly roll) pan for 3-4 hours @ 275.
    5 If you have a Convection oven...use it!
    6 Store in the Refrigerator.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: Chubby

Source: BGE Forum, Chubby, 2006/03/03

They sure come in handy for salads, pasta dishes, or as a condiment on sandwiches!!

They're a staple at "Chubby's Crib".. all year round!!

Evans
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Tomatoes sound great! I'm guessing the flavor is intense.
    Hey I don't know where you are in Fla, or when you are heading back up north, but if you need a spot to stop for the night, shoot me an E. I'm in Jackson,Ga.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Hey Julie!
    Glad things are going well for you. I am going to have to try the tomatoes.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Hi, I did not use Romas for these. We had gotten a case of reg tomatoes and I was not going going to get them used up before we left. So I just sliced then into thirds. didn't even bother with scooping out and they were fine, very moist. you can squeeze them like you were juicing an orange too and it will get rid of a lot of seeds. for the pizza i am using just those chopped and chunks of chicken and the roasted peppers, and i think goat cheese. I love cleaning out the frig to go home :) there is so much flavor in the tomatoes i will not even use any sauce. just brush the crust with evo then the goodies :) Julie
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    how long do they last in the olive oil? i bought some sundried tomatoes in olive oil once, but they were too firm. they did last forever , though. if i do this, i'd probably do a veritable pantload. i'd hope to have them around for a couple months maybe. though i guess i could do smaller batches.

do they last a long time?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Options
    I will be doing good if I can keep these till time for the pizza. they are like candy to me. forget sweets. it is all about breads and savories and these fit the bill to a T. I had a half a loaf of whole grain long loaf in the bread box. drizzled it with a little evo and slapt on melted tomato. the loaf is gone. OH well I can call it brunch?? :blush: Julie
  • Essex County
    Options
    They won't last forever. Maybe for a few weeks. We also freeze them and that works fine.
    Paul
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Those sound awesome! Definitely going in my 'to do' recipes list! Have a safe trip back from FL!