Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

direct cooked ribs

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't remember who posted this, but direct cooked ribs are great :) so thanks for the posting this, they really have a good texture when done (just like goldie locks, not too soft, not to firm, just right). The question I have is can you do this with more ribs on a racks, or can it only be done with as much as will fit flat on the grid? I would love to do these when we have company.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've done them direct both ways. They key is keeping the temp under control and really low. A fellow who passed away several years ago has a method in the recipe section under his name. When I first started cooking ribs that is what I was going for.

JJ's direct spareribs is the title I believe.

I've since moved on to other methods but you can do them direct and they turn out good.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    they are actually easier to cook in a rack because if the temp gets away from you it only nips the end. alot of folks will tell you that ribs dry out if cooked direct, but thats only the case if you start out with poor quality no meat on the bones ribs. if your standing them up and flipping them half way thru the cook you can also raise the temps higher than you would if laying them flat. cats rib recipe is one of the best for a direct cook, no sauce needed on those ribs.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    thanks for the advise. I didn't have a problem with dryness at all, if anything I will have to trim the fat a little better as I seemed to have more left over than with an indirect cook. I also re-heated the left overs for lunch the next day, they were still moist but after re-heating they fell off the bone(too mushy) :pinch:. Like anything trial and error is the best teacher.