Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Usage on 18hr Burn

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large and last Thursday night / Friday did an 18 hour low and slow butt using the BBQ Guru. It turned out great and I did not open the top once in the entire 18 hour cook.

12 hours at 215 dome
5 hours at 250 dome
1 hour at 220 dome

I put in the rest of my bag of BGE lump and filled up the rest with a bag of cowboy that I had from before the purchase of the egg. I filled to the bottom of the fir ring by just dumping in enough and stirring with a stick (I know about arranging the lump but that just seems a little too anal).

I was a bit worried about running out of fuel but that was foolish I think that I used less than 25% of the fuel. I was shocked when I looked especially given the reputation of Cowboy to burn quick.

If you do a low and slow right, do not worry about the fuel.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for posting, what did you have inside the egg - food and accessories.

GG
  • 407BGE
    Options
    I had the adjustable rig with round drip pan on the first adjustable level and the two butts (about 6.5lbs each) on the raised cooking level.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks 407BGE,

This is the second post in a couple of days saying they have cooked butts and it took 18 hours.

Butts should be 1.5 to 2 hrs/lb. 6.5# at 2 hours sould be about 13 hours.

Some folks asked me to cook some pulled pork for them. For me, the fovor to these people is s pretty important. I want this to be right and on time. I have a 2 to 4 hour window (rest time). I don't want to rush the cook or for the meat to get cold and have to work around a re-heat.

I am going to be cooking 3 or 4 butts from 6 to 8 pounds each with a little bit of space side toto side and space top/bottom.

Prior cooks with single butts have been about 10 to 12 hours, and now 2 posts at 18 hours has me second guessing myself.

I am a bit of a loss on how to time this.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    His dome temp was only 215 for the better part of the cook, I'm sure that had something to do with it. -RP
  • Start early. If they finish early, wrap in HD foil, then towels and place in a cooler. They will stay good and hot for a few hours and the "rest" will improve them a bit. I use as small a cooler as I can to hold all the meat & have gotten 5+ hours with it staying above the 140 danger temp.
    Tom
  • 407BGE
    Options
    I was pretty low at a 215 starting temp and did so because I was worried that if I started in the morning that 12 hours would not leave me enough time.

If I started at a 250 dome I'm sure that I would have cooked in less time. The 18 hours in fact was too long in that I had the GURU go into ramp mode after approx 16 hours.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Tom, I was planning on using the ramp time as my safety net. but 12 hours to 18 hours plus a good rest time is a big difference.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I noticed the low temp on the first time and was thinking that would grid temp. I don't have a grip on the ramp mode and don't use it as it makes the cook time a bit elusive.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Randy,

I did notice the first temp time but if the grid was at 214° that would put the dome about 235 to 250° (guessing).

I think I have seen some pictures of you doing 3 or 4 butts on the large. Do you think I should continue to use the 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb. Average butt being 6 to 8 pounds?

Kent
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When I do four 8 lb butts it usually takes 17-20 hours at 250 dome. That's a lot of mass to heat up. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thank you, that helps out.

Kent