Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long time lurker, first butt tonight poster

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi gang,

I've only posted a few times, but tonight I'm doing my first butt cook.

Found out about the Egg a few years ago, lurked on the forum, made some fabulous recipes, became a DP fan...

My wonderful husband surprised me with an LBGE for my birthday last month. 3rd cook in we did babybacks, gave a few to the next door neighbors, and now they have an LBGE solely because of those ribs. We helped them pick it up and as a "thank you" they gave us a pizza stone. Last Saturday we, they, and another couple in the community had an Egg dinner.

This afternoon I smoked cheese for the second time. 4 lbs all happily vacuum packed courtesy of the Foodsaver.

But my reason for posting now is to ask for good butt vibes to be sent our way. I have 13.85 lbs of Costco butt (2 butts) that I just started. Built my fire per all the instructions of starting with a clean firebox, largest lump on the bottom, all the way to the top of the firebox. A mix of cherry and apple for the smoke, rubbed the butts with Gulden's spicy brown then a generous Dizzy Dust coating. With my usual insomnia I should have no problem monitoring the cook overnight but I'm feeling the pressure and stressing like a mother hen.

Love the Egg - hope I don't screw up the butts!

Michelle
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Good butt vibes to you, get the dome temp to 250 then just wait, have fun! -RP
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Enjoy your butts! And the Egg!

Our backyard fests always have at least 30 people, and we manage to keep everyone happy with a Medium Egg.

You and your neighbor together, with two LBGEs, can really cook up a storm! You might as well become a dealer... :laugh:

Enjoy!

:);):)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    You will be fine. 250 dome all the way to BBQ piggy narvana.
    You will enjoy the pizza stone.
    Stick around the forum, let us know what's cookin. Take a few pic's if ya can.
    IMG_5454.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    everything sounds like you have it under control...

my only worry for you is (and i hope it was a typo) you said all the way to the top of the firebox. and i hope you ment to the middle of the fire ring or higher.. i usually go this high

NewEgg007.jpg

if your egg looked something like that then you should be fine.. i have seen good people run out of lump.. but if you are going to babysit it all night you should just keep it in mind.. meaning if you see your fire start to go out check the amount of lump.. also get a old hanger out so if your fire starts to die the first thing you might want to do is take that old (wire of course) hanger bend it into a L-shape and clear your bottom holes of ash.. ;)

make sure to take some "bragging" pictures

good luck and "trust the egg" (cw)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Best of luck, mkc. Hope it turns out as good or better than this yummy pork:

DSC00098.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
  • AZRP
    Options
    God you cook some good lookin stuff, when is there going to be a WI Eggfest so we can meet? Any chance you will go to the Oswego Il fest? -RP
  • Clay Q
    Options
    I'd like to go to the 'Chicago Fest' in September. Now that's gonna be a party. I signed on as a cook.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Cool, if you're planning on going, we will too, looks like a fun time. -RP
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Man, A Wisconsin fest would be great. We could do a brat - beer pairing. Nothing better than Wisconsin brats.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    You'll do fine! I will be up working all night, so if you need some help, I'll be here. If you want, shoot me an "e" and I'll send you my work number. The best thing to remember is " If you're looking, it aint cookin'!" Just keep your temp right and all will be well.
    DSCI0081-1.jpg

DSCI0026.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Ok! Might turn into a 'BGE Woodstock' of sorts.
    Clay :woohoo:

BGEPorterhouseSteaks0001.jpg
  • AZRP
    Options
    If they don't pick the same day as the MN fest, we will be there. -RP
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    I did the same Costco run as you a few weeks ago and did my first all-nighter. I had done some other butts at higher temps that came out great BTW. The great thing is I was able to stabilize the temp and had the thermometer that would alert me if the temps got too high or too low. Needless to say after 18 hours that was the best pork butt EVER. We've been snacking on it in different ways for a while now. It's almost time for another all-nighter to replenish the pork.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    DSCF0287.jpg

Waiting to carve.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I guess some of us speak to often.... I know I am part of a CULT and I just can't help myself :woohoo:

Hope you Butt turns out perfect!!!!!!

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

THis is me being quiet now :S
  • mkc
    Options
    Ah yes, the old "wiggle stick". Not sure whose website that was on, but we did make sure to have one. The fire sat around 235 throughout the night (butts went on around 8 PM, checked at 10PM, midnight, 2:30AM, 5:30AM). At 7:30AM it appeared we were losing the fire as it had dropped to 180. Steve (DH) cleared out the grate holes and back up to 245 in no time. Meat was at 145 at that point (11 hours into the cook)

As of 10 AM, meat is at 156, dome at 245. Potatoes are boiled and cooling for some salad to go with the pork.

We're getting hungry!

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    Options
    Thanks - the neighbors told us that had I been a travelling Egg salesgal, they would have bought their Egg right then and there after that first rib I gave them.

We have a great dealer (BBQ Outfitters in Southlake). I'll just keep sending Paul and Mickie the new fans as we cultivate them.

I must say the big Capital gasser is feeling kind of neglected these days. But it's cart is useful for storing eggcessories....

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    Sounds like you're not far from me at all, be sure to send leftovers out here to Roanoke. :laugh: :lol:

I've been in to the store in Southlake numerous times for accessories, hoping one day to pick up a small to go with my large too. Good group of guys. American Backyard not far from there has good prices on their Egg items, but not as much knowledge.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • mkc
    Options
    Thanks for all the good thoughts and also to everyone who ever posted how to's, have websites, etc. - the butts turned out great thanks to the great knowledge and sharing here on the forum!

Pulled one after 16 1/2 hours and the other about 20 minutes after that when each had reached an internal temp of 200. All is now shredded, we both ate too much while snacking, I mean quality control, during the shredding process and then a little plate for a late lunch.

One thing we're going to try is sauteing up some roasted Hatch green chiles and caramelized onions with a little cumin, cilantro, and Bohemia or Dos Equis and mixing with some of the pork to make carnitas. The extra flavor from the smoke and the bark should make for some tasty tacos.

This was probably my 15th or so cook but was by far the most nerve wracking. I guess it was the responsibility of all that meat and such a long (for me) cook.

Thanks again!

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    As a newbie myself I've done 3 butts since Dec. Probably the easiest cook for me. As Ron Popiel once said..."Set it and forget it". I have had great luck and delicious pork. The most important thing is waiting out the meat while it works through the plateau around 170 degrees breaking down and liquifying the fat ( or whatever it is that breaks down!). Once it breaks, the temp will climb to 195-200 pretty quickly and you'll be fine. Good Luck