Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Gasket and Heat Loss

porterhouse64
porterhouse64 Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a fried gasket on my XL. Today I cooked steaks for my parents. I noticed a fair amount of smoke escaping between the two halves. I only got to a dome temp of 650 degrees and the temp dropped much faster and lower during the 20 minute rest of the T-Rex method 400 compared to 540 the last time.

My Dad thinks it is losing heat, I may have just built a bad fire. 650 after 30 minutes. I grew impatient and tossed the steak on. They cooked fine.

So, I have read a lot of people cook without a gasket.

I know I need to loosen the bolts and realign the lid.

Was it a bad fire or is 650 the best I can expect without a gasket?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    any space around the rim that is leaking isn't going to do much to affect the burning lump (on a sear or anything over maybe 250). the air comes in the vent, passes thru the burning lump, is consumed, and rises up, passing out the flue. if the rim leaks, you may see smoke coming out, or if the fire is really going, it will allow some air in to be drawn out the flue at top. that air won't do anything to the fire, because it's not going to find a way down to the lump against the incoming draft from below.

in short, should have no real affect other than lower the dome thermometer reading. even if it does lower the dome say to 500 from a desired 650, the fire is probably pretty close to a 650 fire anyway.

you might have had ash, not enough lump, or damp lump.

doubtful the gasket issue would cause any real problem. you might see an issue on a lo and slow, but again, more with smoke leaking out than air going in. and if air is coming OUT the gasket, you can still limit the temp with the lower vent.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante