Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp diff from ring to dome?

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying out the new Adjustable Rig from Eggaccessories today with 2 butts at Fire Ring Level (with a pan serving as indirect piece beneath the rig) and 2 racks of ribs on the top of the rig- ribs tonite, butt tommorrow is the plan.

It's still very early in the cook, but I'm seeing about a 45 degree dig between the Smoker probe of my Maverick (which is at ring level) and the probe of a Polder at rack level with the ribs (this is about 2 inches above the gasket.

Anyone besides me think that is unusual?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    When there is new meat, or other items entered into the early stages of a fire on the egg there will be a temp difference in the dome and below. At about gasket level at first I see as much as a 40° difference. When the egg is well established and food and other items are getting up some in temp then the difference in dome and at gasket level on my large will get as close as 15°

If I am cooing with dome thermometer only I figure an overall difference of 20° from dome therm to food level and don't worry to much about it as I cook to food temp no time.

Most ovens are not any closer than that anyway.

GG
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Thanks Grub! I feel better already....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I really like cooking on the top ring of the rig. My maverick pit probe temp is pretty close to the dome thermometer temp at that levle.

For me the top level is a sweet spot for cooking. When I use the Maverick I put the pit probe at food level, where ever the food level is at.

If you also got a spider, you can use the spider normal or inverted.

GG