Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork-butt traveling

Options
Foxy-Q
Foxy-Q Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are renting a house in Gatlinburg overspring break. We are taking our small egg for steaks and burgers, but I was going to smoke 2 pork butts on the large before we leave. I thought I would put them on 18 hours before we plan to leave and pull them off, wrap in foil, put in cooler with no ice and take off. We would leave around 9 in the morning, but not plan to eat until that night. Would the butts be safe to eat? What is the best way to reheat? Any better ideas on traving wih cooked butts? Thanks, Foxy-Q

Comments

• TNW has a graph he sometimes posts that shows approx. five hours before they get into the danger zone below 140.
    There are a lot of variables, size of butt, size of cooler, amount of insulation used ect. Here is what I have done & I got six hours.
    Warm the cooler before adding meat. Put a towell in the bottom. Wrap the meat well in HD aluminum foil. Add more towels above and around inf there is room. I also try to use as small a cooler as I can and still contain it all. I also usually put two butts one on top of the other and leave in a remote thermometer probe so I can monitor the temp. Hope this helps a bit.
    Tom