Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Problems!

Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's now 5:30 AM. I put the 8 lb pork butt on last night around 11:15. I was initially having problems getting the dome temp down so I had the egg closed up kinda tight. . . Well it must've been too tight. Just checked a while ago and dome temp was around 160 and the butt temp was 130.

I'm now bringing the dome temp back up. My biggest concern is any kind of food poisioning. But I'm thinking that I still have a lot of cooking time ahead of me and this should all be salvagable. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This was my first attempt at an overnight cook and it looks like I'm off to a rocky start. . .

Thanks,
Dan in STL

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    while you are waiting for a real answer scroll down thru the this page and the next one. there have been several threads about this. stike posts often about temp issues. i suspect you will be ok if the meat was cold when you put it in the egg. what temp was the egg when you put it on? what time did you last check it before bed and what was the temp then ? keep cooking it till the knowledgeable ones wake up [sober up] and give you a better answer.
    bill
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Sounds as though it was in the danger zone (40-140) too long. My choice would be to chuck it and plan something else for dinner.

Racal
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    I think you're OK.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Butt update. . .

In response to Bill's response:

I put the thing on right out of the fridge around 11:15 PM. I stayed with the thing until around 12:30. That's when a full day cooking (did steaks before the butt) and beer conusumption caught up with me. I didn't get a temp on the meat before I went to bed.

My dome temp is now stabilized in the 220 range. The butt is now up to about 165.

I'll take a look at the posts by Stike and others. Thanks for the responses.

Thanks,
    Dan in STL
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    sounds like you are ok.. only if it is a bone in boston butt... i would be personally woriied if it were a boneless one.. because when they took the bone out they opened the middle up to "the nasties"..... where if it were bone in you would be only worried about the outside being in "the danger zone"...... and it sounds like the outside was never out of "the danger zone"... keep us updated and take some pictures ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Dan, just fought the temp thing with my first butt Fri nite :blush: . If it hadn't been for the Maverick ET-73 alarming me during the night, may have been in the same shape. Wish I could help on the meat questions because food poisoning ain't nothing nice :evil: . The butts I did plateaued at 157 for several hours before they started to climb again. 130 temp this morning on yours sounds a little to close for comfort. They say the bad stuff is only on the surface so if the temp was high enough at the start it may have killed it. I would probably not take the chance but thats your call. I'm am in no way an eggspert.