Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butt Part II, Lots of pics

BamaBackdraft
BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a night. Just when I thought I had everthing going good. The skies opened up and the bottom fell out. Wish I had made an unbrella stand for my cart. :blush: I think the heavy rains messed up the temp in the dome. I was clicking along with the Maverick reading 226-229. When the bottom fell out the grill temp dropped fast to 221 and started dropping to 215 before I went out and opened the bottom vent some more. Fought the temp and rain the rest of the night. Maverick alarm kept going off during the night because the grill temp would either drop or get to high. The meat seemed to level off at 157 and stayed there for several hours. Put an earlier post yesterday of Part I.

Here is Part II
Smaller 5 lb pulled at 10:30am

ButtII001.jpg

Internal temp check with the Thermapen(meat probe was in the other butt)

ButtII002.jpg

First butt pulled after an hour rest in the foil and towels.

ButtII004.jpg

Second butt was pulled at 12 noon after it came up to 195 grill temp 271. Sorry forgot to take pic of it before it went in the foil, towels and cooler.

ButtII005.jpg

Second butt pulled.

ButtII006.jpg

23 hrs. 15 minutes of supper low and slow.

ButtII007.jpg

Still had a good bit of lump left. Santa if I'm a good boy can I gave a Guru? :P Baby sitting is for young folks! :sick:

The butt rubbed with the Rendevous was best but both were better than any I had ever done on the electric Brinksman. Heavy bark that everyone was fighting over. Will watch the weather next time and have the unbrella at the ready! :whistle:

Thanks everyone for their help yesterday.

Comments