Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chuck Roast T-Rexed?

BamaBackdraftBamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited 6:32AM in EggHead Forum
Have a 3 lb chuck roast that is marbled pretty good. About 1 3/4" thick. Was thinking about doing it like a big steak T-Rex style. :huh: Pull the fire ring and drop the grill on the fire box. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Sounds good, and I know that thing looks like a steak, but it's not! You could probably do something kinda like a TRex. Sear, rest while you cool your egg off. Set it up indirect, wrap it in foil with some beef broth, and cook it for an hour or three until it's tender.

Just an idear.
    Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    I with Natureboy you can sear it on the egg but braise it in another egg for hours or a cockpot or oven.
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    tom
    i cook wegman's prime chuck "eyes" like i would cook a rib eye but with lots of hickory, rare and sliced 1/4 " but this is prime meat marbled like a rib eye. $8.99/lb
    i would not do this with regular grade meat and i have never gone past rare. i will do one next sunday and post pics.
    and wegmans here finally got tri tips but they seem like weenie pieces not the hunks o meat that others have posted pics of . if i remember, you did some, how? and were you happy with the result.
    thanks
    bill
  • Thanks for the info. I decided to coat both sides in Montreal Steak and T-Rexed it at 700 dome for 1 1/2 min per side. Pulled it and have dropped the dome temp to 350. Double wrapped it in AF and added a can of golden mushroom soup, chopped onion, splash of Moores marinade and sliced shrooms. Cooking it indirect for a couple of hours and will post pics and results later. :whistle: Should I check with a Thermapen stuck through the foil in a couple of hours? Have left over Baby Backs in fridge for back up. :ermm:
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Forget the thermapen, and just use a toothpick. When it slides in and out and doesn't tug back on you, it's done. Happy eatin'.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ