Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got a new egg

dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fired up my new egg for the second day, any suggestions on bone in country style ribs (note i come from the other world of grills (the "w") and this egg is great so far ! :laugh:

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    These were indirect at 275 - 300 dome for about 2 1/2 -3 hrs (can't remember) and saused for the last 15 min. cooked them to 160. hope this helps.

Pat

100_1619.jpg

100_1621.jpg

100_1622.jpg
  • thank you I wasn't sure about temp. as the egg is different in it's cooking style
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Congratulations, the Egg will make so many things easy and eggcellent.

Country style ribs are just pieces of pork shoulder, and can be done much the same. Rub them, and cook them indirect on a raised grate with a dome temperature of 250. Because they are just small sections of the shoulder, they may need mopping. They are unlike a butt or picnic, where the big size pretty much guarantees a moist result. Have a bowl of apple juice, or some plain beer ready to baste over the pieces after an hour or so. Cook till they start to break apart when you turn them.

Pork steaks, so called, are also from the shoulder. They are really easy and fast. I prefer those over country style ribs.

Once you get the hang of building an over-night fire, go for the biggest butt or picnic you can find. The results are likely to be much better than what you will get from the smaller portions.
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Country style ribs are really good- plus they have a great WOW factor. I assume the first night you did great steaks (I think we all did that.) This will give you some feel of the longer cook capabilities of your BGE. There are some really good easy recipes out there - check out the Naked Whiz website if you have not already - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/
    He has a good collection of ideas.
  • oops I did not put in the plate setter :unsure: Second i put in chicken thighs for my first grill along with sausage. I know these items well and I wanted to adjust with something I know I can cook regardless of the cooker
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    While I don't have any country rib cooks listed on my website...hopefully something else there may offer you some assitance or advice...see link below...Welcome to the family...
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Welcome aboard!!

I think you'll find as you go along that many of the things you d/did on your Weber...you'll do much the same ion your Egg.

Yes..there are important differences, (the Egg will cook much hotter, temp control is much precise, and easier..once learned) and each has some advantages over the other, but with your experience ans some time on the learning curve,you'll be helping your own "Newbies" sooner than you think!!

Fla. Poolman's CS Ribbers look good and his method will work as he advertises!!

Once again...Nice to have you here!!

Evans

PS....Even with 3 Eggs, I still fire my O'l Weber up occassionally, and still enjoy cooking on it!

AndnowfortheSides.jpg
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • I have a large Egg and Weber gold kettle. I like you enjoy cooking on the Weber too. Seems like food taste better coming off the Weber, of cause coming from a family of Chefs I can tell the different in taste. I don’t think most people would be able too. I do smoke a mean rib on the Weber.

Can someone tell me how to register on this forum; I have been trying for 2 days with no luck.

Happy Egging!!!
  • Just a follow up the ribs where great. good enough that my wife came home late and scarfed one down(she wasn't hungry). Thanks for all the advise hope I can give back some at one point.

For the last visitor who couldn't sign up all I did was go to left of the page and fo0llow the directions, checked my e mail and signed in. I only signed in yesterday just before my post.
  • Just a follow up the ribs where great. good enough that my wife came home late and scarfed one down(she wasn't hungry). Thanks for all the advise hope I can give back some at one point.

For the last visitor who couldn't sign up all I did was go to left of the page and fo0llow the directions, checked my e mail and signed in. I only signed in yesterday just before my post.