Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange Stains (not that kind!)

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After breaking my 7 year old used most every day large egg the other day, I noticed some of the broken pieces seemed to have a dark stain to different depths. Is that grease from thousands of cooks seeping into the ceramic? Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Any ideas? Break your eggs open and see if they look the same... let's get to the bottom of this!

JET

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Please stay where you are.. I have called 911 and told there is a crazy person on the loose..

Break my egg open.. Yeah right.... I don't think so..

Now egret may be able to help you out there..
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Ordinarily, grease won't seep into vitrified ceramic. It will, however, seep into the tiniest of cracks. Once there it will expand as it is heated and shrink as it is cooled - thus deepening the crack.

My theory: your Egg got bumped somewhere along the line, resulting in hairline cracks in the ceramic body. Over the years you've added grease, and heated and cooled the body, until it was fragile enough to break.

If you have a grinder, grind a slot perpendicular to the face of the break at the centerpoint of the stain. If my theory is correct, there will be virrtually no staining below the face.

my $0.02
    Ken