Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large or extra large??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decide what size of big green egg to purchase. I am almost a newly wed with no kids. we like to entertain so there may be up to 10-20 people at times. I cook a lot of burgers, briskets, butts, and ribs. I was planning on building a table for my new egg. I received an email from the place i am going to buy my egg and he is running a special on the large eggs (save $142; i think they start at $599 or $699). I was going to call him tomorrow and see if i could get a discount on the extra large. anyways any advice would be helpful. i just don't want to kick myself later if u know what i mean. thanks

Comments

• Eric,

Buy two! I actually had the same dilemma and scenario as you...no kids, entertain, "relatively" newlywed and thought I needed an XL. I found the XL was great for those parties, but too big for when I wanted to fire up something for two...soooo.....I bought a large to go with my XL a month ago. I can cook nearly as much at once and it has far more "aftermarket" eggcessories available to use with it, and I've found I want them ALL. That being said, I now plan to use both when I entertain. One for the main event and the other for sides, etc. Just my 2 cents..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Large.. I regularly feed my family from the large (12-15 adults, 2-7 children). I cater with my XL and feed 50-100 people.

I figured it out with the rack extender I will be able to get 6-8 pork butts on the large. That is a lot of folks to feed.

Also consider the Large weighs in at 140 pounds unloaded. The XL is a whopping 200 pounds unloaded.
  • I have an XL and like it a lot. But if I were starting over I would get a large and a small for the same cost of an XL. I have only cooked on a large one time but it sure seemed like the temps were easier to control. Geauxing for a small soon.
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Hey CW - Cooking double decker with the pork butts - do they all get done about the same time, no matter if top or bottom? I assume you are going indirect here....
  • Celtic Wolf
    They get done with-in 10-20 minutes of each other.
  • BigChar
    Nice. Thanks! Going for my first Butt this weekend - I went to Sam's and all they had were two-packs. That's a lot of butt, but I bet I can fit it. $16 not too much of an investment. any pointers?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Two will most likely finish at the same time. 8 to 10 need an adjustment. :woohoo:
  • BigChar
    Wow - and I thought TWO was a lot of butt!!!! :P
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Hey Eric,
    I have a Large & Small BGE for about the same Price as an XL. I can do steaks on the small and do Boston Butts on the large.... Versatility!!! Simultaneous cooks B) My wife got me a mini for Easter for us to go camping with and for tailgating. If I could only have one egg I would definately still have the Large! If the day ever comes I need to cook more I would add another Large Egg! Hope this helps! I know XL owners Love there eggs too! I have heard some do the XL and MEdium BGE as complimentry pair. Whatever, Egg you decide you get you will enjoy it. If I could I would Get an XL and Medium just to see what I am missing. HOwever, My wife would go missing at that point if you know what I mean :laugh:
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Celtic Wolf
    Between the six eggs I'll be cooking 27 to 30 of them in June.. Got to feed 1000 marines and their families don't you know.
  • Celtic Wolf
    My wife asked "What the hail you need with four eggs?" (She is southern)

I replied.. Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket.

She just shook her head when I brought home 5 and 6.. Hmmmm think I'll name the new small Six. Just hope she doesn't start to glow when she is rubbed..
  • Just hope she doesn't start to glow when she is rubbed..

The wife or the new egg?

B) JET
  • Celtic Wolf
    You missed the reference!!

NEXT :woohoo:
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    CW,
    Post a picture of the setup the next time you cook 6-8 butts on a large egg. I have a large eggmand I am planning on cooking for a large group for Memorial Day so being able to stack 6-8 boston butts on a large egg at one time would be great. Thanks
  • Celtic Wolf
    You need to talk to tjv first :)
  • I think i might try out the large. the xl just seems like it will be huge and i know the price is discounted on the large. thanks to everyone who helped out. sorry if my question was a repost.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Hey Eric,

I was having the same problem, and the nice folks here gave me the same advice, go with 2 instead of the XL. I've decided on the large and the medium, and will be buying them at the end of April. I can't wait!
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Cater?? Wow. Often thought about it but did not hear of anyone ever doing it. How do you transport the Egg?

John
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    If the price of the XL doesn't scare you, get a large and a small.
    The XL is a fine cooker, but few actually need that much grid space.
    A large - small combination is fantastic.