Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIGI Q II -- What do I need for a Large Egg?

Options
kbone
kbone Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to make the investment in the DIGI BBQ II for my large egg. Was on the bbqguru website and want to make sure I order the right thing -- Can someone help this rookie egger out?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Best bet: Call them and ask them.
    they are honest people.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i am with morro bay rich.... the people at bbqguru are great people and stand behind their product... i have the bbq competetor with a 4 cfm fan... i have a large egg... i got mine about 6 months before the came out with the digiQ... so i really can't be much help..... although there are several people who go with the 10 cfm fan... proabably most ;) but the 4 has always worked for me

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    You only have two choices what color and what size fan. I like most went with the 10 cfm.Of course you have to tell them what size egg you have to get the correct adapter.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I agree. An adapter, fan size. I have a 10cfm. I'm sure a 4 will work fine also. And color. Thats all you need to get started. I have a probe tree. I hardly use it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Before getting my DigiQ2 I called and talked with Fred. I was advised to get the 10cfm fan for my large or medium.

The nice thing with the Guru is that the air flow is adjustable. The air flow can be closed down. Therefore the airflow is from 0 cmf to 10 cfm. I often will run my 10 cfm fan at 1/3 open about 3 or 4 cfm.

GG
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have the DigiQ with a 4 CFM fan for my large.

Works great. I have never ran the fan wide open,
    usually have it a 1/4 open for 225 - 230

Spacey
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    SpacemanSpiff,

Either would be a good choice and I am sure hte 4cmf works great as I do close my 10 cfm down to 3 or 4 cfm.

Folks around the forum seem to end up with multiple eggs. If one were to get an XL it might be nice to have a fan that could push something above 4 cfm.

I do open my fan up all the way when I want to get the fire going hotter quicker for whatever reason.

Nevertheless, I did call the Guru folks and talked with the owner. Fred advised me to get the 10 cmf fan for my large. He said one can always cut the flow down, but can never go higher than the full output of the fan.

That sounded like good advice and I thought it wise to follow the advice of the owner of the company I was buying from. If I recall there was no price difference, so why not have the capibility availible.

Sound advice is to call and ask for one's self.

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Save yourself shipping down the line. I purchased mine at a convention, and it shipped with the following:

DigiQ II
    Pit Viper 10CFM fan
    stainless steel bracket/stand
    duffle bag
    drawstring bag for the "Q"
    curl eze wire holder management thingys
    long pit probe
    long meat probe (sorry, I had to laugh out loud when I wrote this...)
    rubber stop plug
    SBGE adaptor door
    LBGE adaptor door
    XLBGE adaptor door
    --I only own two out of the three cookers mentioned TODAY, but hope to have the XL at the end of the day for the TX Eggfest.

Don't delay getting one if you're planning lots of low-and-slows. It's really great to have around on those types of cooks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Sounds like a great deal.

Kent
  • Egg Pirate
    Egg Pirate Posts: 114
    Options
    I just got my new DigiQ last week. Cooked 8 slabs of ribs on my large this weekend. That thing worked great! It kept my temps right on. I also purchased the turbo grate, seems to work but I can't tell any difference.

PS: Get the 10cfm for the large, med, or xl
  • Que Man
    Que Man Posts: 20
    Options
    I got my DigiQ II last week and smoked two pork butts on Saturday. (14 hrs) Using the DigiQ freed me up to do other things like working in the yard, take the wife out to lunch and shopping. She was happy so everyone was happy. It worked flawlessly. Temp was dead on the whole time. I check the calibration Friday night before the cook. It was dead on from the factory. Didn't need to calibrate. It is very easy to do if you need to do it at a later time. If it rains out side just put a Zip Lock bag over the controller and your fine. I got the 10 cfm fan just in case I want to use it on a larger smoker later. You can't go wrong with this unit!

Que
  • I have had mine about 4 months now, must say it is as good as advertised. The probes are heavy braided cords unlike any others I have seen for meat probes. You might see about getting an extra set, they seem like they would last a while but would hate not to be able to do a cook down the road because my probes went bad.