Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest cook..

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
on the medium? I can't seem to get much past 11 hours. When that happens I usually finish in the oven. When I go to clean out my med there is maybe 1.5 handfuls of lump left.
I appreciate any discussion.
Maybe it's time for the large.
Molly
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Large is good...
    . . . but,
    Have you tried different brands of lump?

assuming you are talking about BBQ; 240* or so.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    230*-250*. I use royal oak lump.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    18-20 hrs for me. Could be the type of lump you are using, could be how you are lighting the lump, could be how much you are putting in, Check to make sure you don't have any air leaks in your gasket, also if you stir the lump, you can get more time out of it. Hope others will chime in here. :)
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    11 hours is pretty good on a medium. If you need to go longer just pull everything out and load with more lump. It will not hurt your cook. Stabilize your egg and go again. I used to have a medium it works fine.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I can't believe you get twice as long on a med. I use ro lump and always clean out the total egg. For filling I start with large pieces then med and small on top. I always fill to bottom of platesetter.
    Not sure what I else I could do.
    I do know that I really stuff that med at times. Like today I have three whole chickens, beer butt style and 2 fatties with no grill space left.
    Friday night I put on 17.5lbs of pork.
    What do you think?
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • We have had upwards of 26 hours in a single cook with enough lump left over for three nights meals steaks, chops burgers.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    No need to holler, I can hear you.
    Now, was that on a large? Is that what you have.
    I have been kicking it around. What am I lokking at for price?
    $2000, with nest, platesetter, side tables?
    I don't think I left anything out.
    By the way why are you STILL not a member?
    Thanx,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"