Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chile

Options
Old Salt
Old Salt Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a lot of you make your own chile but have you bought canned chile lately?
Wolfe brand add should say "Podner have you had a nice steaming bowl of watered down chile today".
We had dogs and chile this evening. It was like soup. All 3 brands are like that. Wolfe,Hormal or what. It's chile flavored water.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    are you serious???? i live in S.C. and as long as i have been able to cook i was told Texans can make chile........ and you are talking about canned chile??? i think they may have to revoke your texas passport and make you go to north dakoda if you need a chile recepie here is one:

Chili, Beef, on the Grill

For incredible chili, use pure chile powder – not the “chili powder” (a blend of ground chiles, garlic, oregano, and other spices) that you find in most spice racks. The pure stuff is simply ground ancho chiles (dried poblanos).

3 lbs plum tomatoes, cores removed
    3 stalks celery
    2 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium jalapeño pepper, stem removed
    2 Tbs pure chile powder, divided
    2 tsp kosher salt, divided
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 lb top sirloin steak, about 3/4 inch thick
    3 boneless pork loin chops, about 5 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1 bottle (12 ounces) ale
    1 cup beef broth
    1 can (14 ounces) pinto beans
    1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
    1 cup sour cream

1 Grill the tomatoes over Direct Medium heat until the skins are lightly charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes, turning as needed. Transfer the tomatoes to a food processor and purée (in batches, if necessary), then pour into a large saucepan.
    2 Brush or spray the celery and onion slices with the olive oil. Grill the celery, onions, and jalapeño over Direct Medium heat until well marked, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board. Chop the celery and onions into 1/4-inch pieces. Mince the jalapeño. Add the vegetables to the tomato purée.
    3 In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the chile powder, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Season both sides of the steak and the chops with the spices. Brush or spray the meat with the oil and grill over Direct Medium heat for about 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill and cut into 3/4-inch cubes, then add to the tomato mixture.
    4 Add the remaining 1 tablespoon chile powder, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, oregano, garlic, cayenne, ale, and broth to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat.
    5 Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat cubes are very tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Add the pinto beans and simmer for 15 minutes more.
    6 Serve warm in individual bowls and top with the cheese and sour cream.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Weber's Big Book of Grilling

Source: Weber

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    My wife makes chili but for a quick dogs and chile we use canned.
    Don't spread it around but I'm a displaced Brooklyn Texan. Been here since 1967. Wife is a displaced Californian.