Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past I've egged prime rib indirect by sitting a drip pan on my grate and then a small auxillary wire grate on top of the pan and then the prime rib. I got to thinking would it be better to use my inverted plate setter to provide the indirect protction intead and just skip the drip pan and small auxillary grate. Any thoughts???
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Absolutly,turn your platesetter legs up.You can cover it in foil or put a drip pan on it.Then place your grid on top.That's how I do it. :)
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 35
    Options
    What he said. I did this last night (scroll down): placesetter with a drip pan, grid on placesetter legs, roast on grid. (The long low-and-slow part of the cook left the roast so moist there were essentially no drips in the drip pan.)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I sort of liked your original idea. However the platesetter would give better indirect protection.

When I did my prime rib, I used the adjustable rig with a grid on the lowest setting for drip pan, grid on top (raised grid). For a drip pan, a long time ago, I went to Wallmart and picked up a stainless 15", I think it is, steel deep dish pizza pan (apx 1" deep) which i line with foil and use it for a drip pan.

If I use the plate setter, I put the drip pan or foil with edges turned up right on the plate setter. If I am wanting to keep drippings then I put some kiln stilts under the ss drip pan.

Followed thirdeye's method but this cook had no sear done. Next time I 'might' do an end sear.

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

Kent
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Ron,

I setup the roast like this and put it in a rectangular corningware pan with some root vegetables in there that cook in the juices from the roast:

IMG_8536.jpg

All of this sits on an indirect setup.