Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WMK .... about these guest spammers

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought we had a poll ..with the majority results saying "guests" to have to register to post.....all of these recent SPAM posts are posted by guests...so you obviously haven't implemented the "register to post" rule...did I miss something????? You created the poll....we voted....shut em down Boss...

Comments

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    WessB,

I think that so far, all, or very nearly all, of the spam on the new forum has come from the old one -- i.e. they are not posting it here at all -- as guests or otherwise.

On the new forum, to post as a guest, which you may already know, one must enter the "guest password", which is displayed in a graphic. This makes it very difficult for automated processes, like most spammers, from getting through. So, even if we allow guests to post moving forward, there should be a significant reduction in spam volume -- nearly zero based upon our experience with the guestbook.

We haven't changed the policy yet on the new forum primarily because at first so many were having trouble logging in and then posting questions about it. I didn't want them to be locked out entirely.

Plus, the vote was a 60/40 split, a clear, but not overly decisive majority. It is a simple configuration change, so if we find a need moving forward, we will go ahead "go exclusive", but for the time being, I'd like to see how well the new forum does stopping spammers w/out going that far.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Spammers have recently broken the graphic password code.
    I'll see if I still have the notice I got on this when I go home in the morning.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I appreciate all of your efforts....I thought I had checked the text to see if they were coming from the old forum...I'll pay more attention next time before bothering you...

Wess