Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights sacrifice: Brine chicken quarters

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
78 degrees and sunny. To fine of day to cook ALL day. Had to ride my Arab a few hrs this morning, a little cruise up town on the Harley and of course farm chores. Now time to Egg. Got to get up at 2:15 so nothing complicated. The old stand by: Yard bird quarters or as my wife calls'em "White trash chicken" :P
Made a brine of 1 cup water, 1/16 cup salt pluse a fuzz, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cummin, 1/2 tsp all spice, 2 bay leafs, big pinch tarragon, 4 heap tsp brown sugar, 1 good squirt maple syrup, and 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Soak 3 hrs.
Cooked with platsetter at 300 pit to 167 coldest part of thigh. Baked potato, garlic bread and green beans. Not bad for a quick feed.
FIRSTMARCHFOOD023.jpg
FIRSTMARCHFOOD024.jpg
FIRSTMARCHFOOD025.jpg
FIRSTMARCHFOOD026.jpg

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Looks great! I love the way maple syrup and brown sugar add color to the skin. Just one question you listed
    1/16 cup salt pluse a fuzz whats a fuzz?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I always cook to at least 180 in the thigh - wasn't the meat a bit rubbery?

they sure do look good!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    A fuzz is alittle more than a glug! :laugh: I 1/2ed my regular recipe and mixed it in a pint jar for the quarters. Mixed well and nuked till boiling then stuck in freezer till chilled. Normally put alittle more than 1/8 cup in full batch. 1/16 cup is hard to eyeball in measuring cup so call it a good solid 1/16 cup. I always cook to 165 to 170 on bird. I had reather see alittle pink in the joints than dry. Temp was on biggest one that I ate so smaller ones like wife ate closer to 170--175.
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    I always go to 180 myself. But those things looked good. Have four in the refrig. as I type. Going to give your brine a try. Thanks for the post.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bob, just for funs sake, next time take thighs to 195-200, I think you will find them incredible. It's a little tip I learned from Americas Test Kitchen, it is how they do pulled chicken. I would compare it to cooking a butt to 170 vs 195. -RP
  • TomM24
    Options
    I'm with Jl here my wife doesn't like dark meat so I'm either cooking a whole bird or legs and a breast. I don't think I've ever gone to 180 on a chicken thigh. And they are rarely rubbery and always moist. To each his own.
  • TomM24
    Options
    Next time I do some cut up chicken I'll give this a try on a thigh for now I'm a doubting Thomas.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Boy do they look good