Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING: sjungdahl- Did we sway your decision?

Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
By now you have read all the responses to your question(s) and now we (I) want to know if you have decided one way or another as to whether or not to pick up that egg?

Comments

• Still not 100% sure. All the posts helped. The food pictures made me hungry no doubt - beautiful.
    I could see the moisture in the pulled pork.

Don't take it wrong. If the cost were not a concern I'd have one now. I'm a very slow and cautious buyer.

I will say all the replies has made me feel like it's the right decision.
    This weekend is my go/no go date.
    I'll let everyone know.
    You should be forewarned if it's a go you'll be hearing a lot from me.

Thanks to all here for the info, sometimes we need another to point to the obvious.
  • You'll make the right decision for you. Once you have it you;ll wonder why you didn't make the move sooner. For some of us brisket is a hard learning curve. People like MollyShark and NatureBoy have had TONS of time cooking them and from what I hear never miss.

Good luck
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Check out my reply to you in the original thread..
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Remember you are not spending money ( sortof ) It's an investment, in great tasting food for the rest of your life. All those who eat what you cook off the egg will sing praises to you for the superior tasting food. So go shopping for your investment. Miles out.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it sounded like your concern was ease of temp control. there isn't any smoker/grill that is easier to control, unless you bought another ceramic one.

don't know what else to tell you. it's just the plain truth.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    whether you get the egg this week or not, you may consider hanging out here and bangin it with the other eggin' groupies. the forum is a great place to spend time chattin q.

i bought my first egg almost twenty years ago. it is a large and since then i have purchased another large and a mini. my first large continues to cook very admirably. i suppose if i put the pencil to paper, the cost to purchase amortized over the twenty year period would be pennies per cook.

i can' t imagine many other cookers in this price niche with a useful service period in excess of 20 years. by the way, i believe the cost ot maintain that egg over the 20 years has been less than $50.

additionally, i think when you make a commitment to the egg you are more accurately making a commitment to a lifestyle change. in my case i found that eggin has become a hobby. i eat out less and the egg has become a great instrument and reason for entertaining at home.

sure the egg may appear pricey at the outset, and it most definitely is. be aware, that pricey feeling doesn't stop with the egg. after the egg you will probably want accessories to make your eggin experience more complete. however you seem to be a true bbg enthusiast and if you indeed are an enthusiast, i would comfortably submit to you that i could not imagine you ever being disappointed with the egg.

good luck and happy eggin
    mark
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Come on. All these forum members can't be wrong.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    all these forum members might not be wondering how in the hell they're goin' to fill up their gas tanks either. geeae it's $3.50 per gallon near cleveland, ohio.

added benefit for you to buy the egg:

now you don't have to worry about dropping $50 in gas to get a $25 ribeye at outback.
  • WOW - I can see Eggers are real commited. It's also very refreshing, not one negative post. In most forums there's always one or two smart $%$'es. Not so here, another big plus for the Egg purchase.
    Looks like a great group to be involved with.

Hey citychicken -
    You hit another concern. If the Egg is as habit forming as it seems from the forum it could snowball into another expensive hobby (I'm an audio enthusiast - talk about expensive hobbies).

BTW - paid $3.40 just today in Cinci.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Look at all the money you'll save eating at home instead of going to out to those awful restaurants.
  • Today is the one year anniverary of my owning an egg and it is really great. I weigh the same today as the day I brought it home. It absolutely makes everything better than it has ever been before. Wait til you make pizza on an egg; you won't believe how good it is. I never did any cooking before I got my egg but now I look forward to the next time as soon as I get done with a cook. I wish I had known about the egg years ago.
    Frank
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Most folks load up on accessories. For instance, when cooking at + 800 degrees, a set of long tongs, and good gloves come in handy. Recently, I've been thinking of getting some bellows for those times I want to get to cookin' really fast.

Where I live, lump is hard to get in the winter. So by the end of summer I have several varieties stacked up, at least 150 lbs, and 30 - 40 lbs of wood chunks. Its a happy Egger that gets a lump of coal for Christmas!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    you gotta eat right?..so why not eat eggcellent food while you're in the process? The extra we spend it my house for egging is more than made up by the $200-$300 we spent a month going out to restaurants 'pre-egg'. We havent been to a restaurant in nearly a year...hehe egg-on!!...
  • I would say 200 to 300 is conservative. We were going out to eat 3 to 4 times a week. we have cut that down to maybe 1 to 2 times a week and tehn when we go my wife and I look at each other and say we can do much better at home.
  • I LITERALLY just walked in the door from BBQ Galore. I just unloaded my first ever LBGE from my truck.

Got the large, plate-setter, pizza stone, billy bar, and 3 bags of BGE Lump.

I can't wait to get her together!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    How's this, we are getting up at 2:20 tomorrow morning to travel to Florida for an Eggfest with mostly people we have never met but will come home with many more friends. I can't wait. -RP
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    You have a point, the BGE does cost more than it should.
    - BUT -
    It is worth more than it costs.
  • Michael B
    In that 20 years, how many times have you heard:
    "This is the best _____ I've ever eaten."

Or when you've gone out to a restaurant:
    "This is pretty good, but you make it better with the Egg at home."
  • Michael B
    > I've been thinking of getting some bellows
    > for those times I want to get to cookin' really fast.

uhm...
    hand held hair dryer.