Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP gas question

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question: how long should a canister of MAPP gas last under the normal (3-4 times a week) usage?

I bought the torch head/canister combo when I bought my Christmas tree back in late November/early December and that thing was empty today. It looked like an oversized candle when I tried to fire it up earlier this afternoon :laugh: Anyhow, the BGE firestarters came to the rescue, and made me appreciate how quickly a torch can get the lump going by itself.

Thanks, guys and gals!

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Just use a paper towel. Roll it up length wise, dip it in vegetable oil and put it in with your lump. Put some lump over the top of it and light the end. It will get started in no time.
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    I use the MAPP Gas torch method and it works great. Fierd up the BGE at 0530 this morning and put a Pork Butt on my Egg; temp came up in hurry and I was in business!

Chris
  • Beanie-Bean
    I've used that method before when I noticed that the smoldering firestarters really give off a lot of smoke. The paper towel/oil method really burned clean for me (I used some old peanut oil I had...or maybe it was some old olive oil. Can't remember.) I still like using the torch, though B)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Unless you using it everday, that seems fast for a mapp cannister to go dead. Mine last at least six months. Are you sure the nozzle is not clogged, which does happen. Benzomatic has a great customer service department for help on cleaing the equipment. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Thanks for the advice...the flame was coming out just at the little vent hole in the brass earlier. I'll check it out tomorrow during the daytime. It was the cylinder that came with the main torch head, not a replacement cylinder. At least now I know how long the tank is supposed to last--thanks again!
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    I'm just learning here - I got the green light this week (ha ha) for my early birthday / anniversary etc present... :) Planning on a LBGE to add to the family. I have always used a chimney starter, burning from the bottom to the top. I like the paper towel idea. I do have a question though - I'm not visualizing how a fire spreads from the top down with the fire starters (I saw you wrote to put a little coal on top). Does it just spread slowly to surrounding coals to slowly burn the load? I'm only used to thinking bottom to top, not top down.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Yes, the fire spreads slowly and burns out and down.
    The fire and cooking temps are much easier to control this way.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've never checked but it seems like I get at least 6 months, maybe more. I cook on the Eggs 4-5 times a week and light in 5 spots 10 seconds each. -RP