Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple EGG Questions!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I have a few questions to ask.

1) Anyone here ever buy an XL or Large egg, and wish they had bought the other instead? I entertain only small groups of 8-10 on occasion, and have that LG vs. XL thing going on.

2) Which temp control unit seems to get the best reviews, the Digi-Q or the Guru?

3) I saw a post once on some higher end thermometers to swap with the factory one, but forgot to bookmark the site. They had some that went to 1000 degrees.

4) Who makes the best built, and easy to use system for multi-level cooking? I have read that the BGE rack is not the best ever made.

Thanks, Jeff

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'll have a go at some of your questions:

1) I have a Large, too, and I've cooked for groups as big as you mention. It all depends on what you're cooking, too. If you try to do 10 Porterhouses on a Large, you'll have to do them in shifts. OTOH, ribs or even NY Strips for 10 is definitely doable. I'm leery of the XL given its relatively lower aspect (height:diameter) ratio.

2) The DigiQ II is an update of the Guru, so it's most likely the unit you're going to want. There's another control unit out there called The Stoker that has some interesting features you might want to look into before making the leap

3) You're thinking of Tel-Tru. I have one and I like it a lot.

4) I'll let others answer...not my strong suit.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1. I own both and use the Large the most. I typically feed 20+ people at my home and just use the the Large. Keep in mind that the XL 200 pounds and burns fuel more then the large ever thought of.

2. DigiQ II is a Guru

3. Tel-Tru

4. The BGE grates work fine; however, there are alternatives. For reasons of my own I'll let others tell you whose.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can cook for 8-10 on a large. that said, i think the large and small will be most versatile if you have the money to spend on an XL. they'll cost around the same, and you can do simultaneous cooks of side dishes at different temps.

can't answer the 'electronics' question. never felt the need (yet). you should learn how to build a long-lasting fire before going electro anyway, since some have had their fires go out even when wired.

i stick by the old thermo. i come from gasser land where "low-med-high" was enough. i'm happy if i'm somewhere close. the thermo is a guide. you'll need it mainly for lo and slo and baking/roasting. but searing, etc. it's all about the fire. the thermo will indicate roughly how raging the fire is. but you'll cook by feel at those temps.

consider that you can cook "the same" ribs at 225 or 300. time will change, but the quality won't be discernible most of the time. and since ribs can vary from one batch to another (in terms of time til 'done') even at the SAME temps, you can't really expect to nail down time of a cook with a more accurate thermo. wait til the OEM thermo STBs, and then get a new one if you want.

the BGE rack is fine. some don't use it correctly and find it wobbly. i am a cheap pr!ck, and made my own raised grid with some bolts, nuts, washers and a spare grid. but mine is 'fixed' and not as versatile as the bge (from what i understand).

welcome.
    i say, if it were me, get a large, see how it goes, grab a small later if you need to.

or ask the dealer about upgrading. they may let you cash in the large toward an XL at a later date (90 days?). worth asking.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Since I have no reason, or very little of it I'll tackle 4:

http://www.eggaccessories.com/woo2.html

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Options
    I saw the Woo2 yesterday on the internet - i also liked the GreatMates featured on the Naked Whiz's site - but that may only be for small BGEs.

Have you had good experiences with the Woo2 Steven? Do tell!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    If you "entertain" a lot (even your own family), I would go for multiple Eggs. Two larges would give you the most versitility but a large and medium or small would work too. That way you can cook other items besides your main course.

Spring "Eggs Come In Dozens And I Already Have Three" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Little Steven wrote:
    Since I have no reason, or very little of it I'll tackle 4:

http://www.eggaccessories.com/woo2.html[/url]
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i have the tel tru on the large and the mini and am very happy with them here is the link for multiple heights. don't have it yet but i want it

[/url]http://www.eggaccessories.com/woo2.html[url][/url]
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Big Char,

I copied the wrong page on tjv' site. Yes I have had good results with the Woo 2. What I meant to indicate was the "adjustable rig" in answer to the question on the grill extender. Both are great products, well made and don't break the bank.

Little(Wish I Could Be Big Steven)Steven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I forgot to mention an important issue. I already own a Kalamazoo Grill Dual-Fuel model, so I can fire that up for bigger GRILLING parties. I can slide out the drawer, and fill it with wood chuck, lump, or limb wood to cook over a real fire.

The EGG will serve mainly for the common ribs, butt, brisket, and pizza.

That was pretty important to mention with regard to the size question. My kalamazoo has 452 Sq inches of cooking space. I light the lump or wood with the dragon burner, then kill the gas, and use the wood fire.

Jeff
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Then you ought to be good to go with a Large, Jeff. You won't regret it...best BBQ I've ever had has come off my Egg.