Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Cookbook/Recipe Software

Options
Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard a lot of folks on here talk about Living Cookbook and it sounds like a good software package. Now a days if you google 'recipe or cooking software' you get a BUNCH of choices..any recommendations and why you think yours is the best?? Sorting out all the features of each of these is giving me a headache!! :angry: :(

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Send BENTE an e-mail. He recently got the Living cook book. He is very impressed with it. Richard FL is also a user of this product as well.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I use Living cookbook also and am pleased with it...I went with it because it seemed to be widely used here on the forum......And your post is certainly NOT "OT"
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Thx Mike. Yeah I knew both of them used Living Cookbook, but looking at their site, the most recent update is like 2005. So guess I was a bit concerned about support and updates and if anyone had tried anything out there more current that 'might' be better....
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I have been using this site for years cause its free. :woohoo: And I'm cheap. :silly:

http://allrecipes.com/Default.aspx
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    as mike said i have been just now getting into the living cookbook. Richard Fl help get me going. it is really a neet tool to have at your fingertips. living cookbook will let you download a trial version of their software which will let you open it 25 times before they make you go pay for it. make sure you go to Naked Whiz's site to get your $3 coupon. i could be mistaken but i think they were working on a newer version. if you have any questions i will try to answer it but remember i have just gotten it loaded onto my computer in the last two weeks ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have been using BigOven for many years and have been very happy with it. The things I like best about it are 1) unbeatable customer support, 2) search functions, and 3) recipe rating system.

Customer Support - Steve M. is the CEO of the company that develops BigOven but he is also a user of the software. He is a foodie and actively posts recipes, comments on user recipes, and participates in the forums there. Since he is so accessible, their tech support is top notch and personal. Anytime a question is asked, you get a real answer very quickly.

Organize & Search Functions - These are very flexible by ingredient, title, etc. You can create or import recipes onto your hard drive but BigOven also has it's own massive database of recipes, so you can search just your recipes or the online ones or both. You can also network BigOven so you can have your main files on a PC but access it from your laptop in the kitchen.

Recipe Sharing / Rating - Users can also upload their own recipes to the main online database to share them with others. Users can rate and comment on the online recipes. I like this because I can see how many times a recipe has been tried, what others thought about it, and any recommendations from other users.

BigOven has a lot of other features too (menu planning, shopping list, etc), but I just wanted to mention the things I like about it.

Now that I think of it, Steve is the one who got me looking at getting an Egg. If you go to the BigOven site and look in the "All Things BBQ" group, I was contemplating equipment and he brought up the egg (11-24-2007).

Their site is www.bigoven.com. They have a free trial download.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have been using Living Cookbook since 10/04 and have been very happy with it. It is pc based. There is a newer than 1.5 version due sometime, but the one I have is great.

Here is there site for the free download, also look around their forum and some of your concerns will be answered. If you do the freebie don't close it each time and the 25 looks will last longer

http://www.radiumforums.com/products.html

Here is a review about 1 1/2 years old, but not much has changed.

http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Drop me an email with questions or a phone number.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    I've downloaded both the demo for LC and BigOven. Both seem very effective. One downfall I see to both of them is the ability to have more than one photo in a recipe. Looks like they both only allow one. I have some recipes with multiple photos showing setups for specific steps, i.e. smoked cheese. I would like to be able to keep these photos with the recipes since the old 'picture is worth 1000 words' axiom applies.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You can only place one in the recipe section with Living Cookbook, however I have some recipes with over 10 pictures in the procedure section. Not sure if there is a cap! Happy to talk to you about Living Cookbook.