Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Postcard from Boot Camp

Michael B
Michael B Posts: 986
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We got the "I'm Here" post card today from Fort Jackson, South Carolina. My son is very officially in the Army.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    God bless, & thanks to you & yours for what we have!

Rascal
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Ohhhhh the memories of running up tank hill at oh dark thirty!!! {shiver}

Being the only Yankee in my platoon and not being cold at 50 degs didn't help either. Drill Sargent would see me start sweating and make everyone take off their field jackets.

Now the whole platoon was mad at me. Cause they were cold. The Drill would then make us run faster so they would stop itchin' about being cold. That made me sweat more. You get the idea.. I am surprised I lived through Basic Training.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Good luck to him. Son has been in the Navy for 9 1/2 years now. Hated the first 2 then got a little rank and decided to stay for 20. He has seen alot of the world and likes it now. It was probably the best move for him at the time.
    Best Wishes for your son.

Pat
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    May God Bless him, Michael B.
  • Wow, I can't imagine the feelings you've got running through you - pride, concern,partirotism, etc.

From an Egger with a LOT of military family and friends, past, present and likely future - tell your son he's got some big fans in Texas!

There's really good folks in SC too, they'll look after him!
  • I truly believe if it was not for our young men and women in uniform we would not being enjoying the freedoms that we so often take for granted. You can be very proud of your Son. I know he will do well. As always we will keep him and all those who serve our great Country in our prayers.
  • Micheal B.,

I wish your son the best and appreciate the sacrifice that today's young men and women are making by serving their country in today's political atmosphere/environment. As a recent retiree of spending 20 years in the U.S Army tell him to keep his head up and be flexible because change is a constant thing. Plus there will be days that he loves the Army and his job and days that he hates it.

Once again I thank him and all the other men and women who serve or who have served and made/make our way of life the most sought after in the world. And to all just remember that freedom is not free.

You may or may not believe in the war but I ask that we all support our troops!
  • Thanks to all of you for your kind words and well wishes.
    This was Mark's choice. He tried college for a year and decided that the timing wasn’t right for that. After looking around at what was available to him, he chose the Army. He turns 20 tomorrow. Yea, I’m proud of him.