Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Outdoor Kitchen Progress

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have yet to fire up my eggs. I know I should be shot by now, have had them for three weeks. However Contractor say that he should be done one week from today and should be cooking by next weekend. Here are a couple of picks of the progress thus far. Eggs will be semi built in (slide in) between the counters that are formed already.

Still trying to decide on a name, Like someon'es suggestion of Egg-ma-hall, and leaning towards Doak Campbell West.

Haven't told wife that I plan to have wire run for cable tv, but she sholdn't complain because at least now I will be able to cook (grill) and watch sporting events.
DSC01319.jpg
DSC01322.jpg
DSC01323.jpg

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    coming along nicely! I can empathize with your plight and the carpenters. I thought mine would never get done last year with my cookin porch!! Originally sposed to be done early April...finally got finished end of May..hope you have better luck! ;)
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Better done right than fast!

Happy Eggin'!

~ Broc
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Looks great! Please keep us updated on the progress.

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    About........ Egg in One,,,,,,,,for a name :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've got two suggestions, The Swamp or Gator Nation :evil: :laugh: :laugh: . Just messing with you. The build looks great. Maybe in the future we can have a FL. /FLA. ST. Eggfest at the egg-ma-hall. everything looks good. Best wishes for a great finish.

Pat (Gator but also a fan of St. Bobby) Poolman
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Man, a flat panel above that fire place and burn the name in the beam on the front. Very nice. While they are there, better run some electric in the ceiling for a ceiling fan. I did two in mine and they are help.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Hey poolman that was a good one. Glad I didn't join until long after football season, but I guess next year one of us will be in for it. :laugh:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Egg-ma-hall is coming along nicely since the last update. I've been working on my outdoor kitchen during the winter, in my spare time, it is a chore, but it's moving along. It might not be a bad idea to crank up the eggs. You may just find something that you want to alter/incorporate on your build while the contractor is still there. Just a thought. Are those mesquite trees in your yard?
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Big Un, not sure about the trees guess I should find out and have them trimmed. Couldn't incorporate anything else if I wanted too==the mrs. you know what I mean plus as with any construction a little overbudget :(

Buster Doug, electrician supposedely shows up tomorrow to wire for electrical outlets and the two ceiling fans. If you spring for the flat panel I will add the outlets above the fireplace :laugh: But there will be a cable outlet.
  • PapaDoug
    Options
    If I had one I think that I would call it my Egg Shack or a Que Kitchen.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Your build looks great but be careful what you say around the workers. Some are probably gator flunk outs :laugh: . Glad you take it in jest. It's a fun rivalry and makes for great fun at parties. I have die hard Nole & Gator friends & we compete at everything from golf to tossing your empty beer in the can from 10 ft.. Your build/empire looks great. Like some have mentioned prewire for everything now, it's a fraction of the cost of adding it later.
    Hope it finishes as good as it looks so far
    Pat
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments, Hope the food turns out as well once I start cooking.

Poolman, Jest is the only way to take it, life is too short to get upset over stuff like that. Can't wait for it to get done, then for the summer it will be golf then bbq, then in the fall football and bbq. Plus I do like Bobby B. I just think that maybe he should call it quits at the end of the year. Loved your country style ribs the other day I cooked alot of them on my old grill.
    But this will be my first time with a high end grill and attempting low and slows.

I liked the Idea of burning the name into the wood, although don't know if the mrs will go for it. Maybe above the eggs though or have a sign made to hang from the beams.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    A sign is a great Idea. you can change it according to season even when bobby & joe pappa retire. Multiple quick change signs according to the cook or occasion?????
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the ex-architect in me is looking for a little bracing there. how deep is the bit at the back? 3 or 4 feet?

i'm just imagining wind hitting that high-pitched roof from the side. what's keeping the front portion from twisting (anchored to the back bit, but free t spin at the front) and the posts from just tipping over?

roof is essentially just sitting on toppa the posts...

don't mean to alarm you. maybe they are putting in knee bracing or something on the posts? i don't think the walls at the back are enough to keep it from torquing in a decent wind.

BUT. that's admittedly based only on what i can see here from moren' a thousand miles away, and my eyes ain't good.

looks like a nice little luv shack, man. that's bigger than my actual fer real house.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Thank you for the critique Detective Monk!!

The man is not building the Freedom tower!!

Can't you just say "great job, but you might consider some more bracing" or consider the fact wind might not be a major factor where he lives??
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    The winds are pretty bad here in Texas, and when he joined the forum recently he mentioned that he is from just north of Austin.

BTW, the outdoor kitchen looks great! Hope you can enjoy it soon.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I am trying to get stike to be less anal.. :( However, I fear I am fighting a losing battle.. :woohoo:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Ummm...sorry 'bout that. All I could think about when I read the thread was coming back home from vacation, and seeing a portion of my roof gone due to high winds. Had to call the roofing company to come in first thing before the rain decided to fall again. Definitely not something I experienced when I was in Florida.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That is really Cool! BUT- there's no reason you can't set an EGG up on a paver and start cooking on it till the chateau is done! The Egg will be fine left out in the weather and in the meant time you can get some cooks under your belt! I'm surprised no one has said anything about that yet!

CW - It is second nature for us to see stuff like that. Some, like Stike, try to help and explain the issue in case it was overlooked. ( To us just saying "might consider more bracing" is of no practical use and could either cause confusion or the point would be missed entirely.) Others, like me, keep my head in the sand and assume this has already been addressed in the design/build process and that I'm either not seeing everything or it was a conscious decision to go this route. I'm not licensed in Texas anyway so officially I have no opinion.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    It has been pretty windy here the last couple of days. I think roof will be fine. It is on the same pitch as my house and was built by the guy that framed my house and he is anal. The columns will have a stone base about three foot high and the counters will be brick with stone/concrete counter tops. The two joist will have a column between them and will also be tied into the wall of the fireplace. Hope that explanation helps.

Flashback bob, It has been brought up about cooking during construction but I was concerned about the brick sling and throwing mortar around when they brick the shed and counters. You know accidents do happen and when asked no one knows how they happen. I cannot wait to fire them up and neither can the wife because she is going tired of me calling her over to the computer to show her what everyone else has cooked.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Once an architect, always an architect!

Beers mang.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Very cool. I am looking to build a covered area when we can build our cooking patio, but nothing to that scale! What are the dimensions?? 24x24 or better?

Nice looking little paradise there.
    Congrats!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Dang keyboard.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    poor mans jinxed now. i flashed a pic of the deck that sits up high over the lake at my house and mentioned i would extend it someday. a quick stike critique of the current design mentioned up draft probems and wouldnt you know that a deck thats been there for 60 or so years just majically lifted one windy day and a main support post fell out just a month later. either he knows what hes doing, or he snuck into my yard and sabotaged the deck at night.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Man that looks nice. You are really going to enjoy the EggNole.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse or anything.....but are you incorporating hurricane clips or anything like that?

Sorry. We don't think in terms of "if" something is going to happen, we think in terms of "when".

Basically I'm just extremely jealous. I have Egg Facility Envy.
  • stike
    Options
    it's not a critique, but a safety issue.

if you knew what i was talking about, you'd know what i was talking about.

i told him i was impressed. it literally is almost as big as the footprint of my house.
    i just want him to be safe.

thanks for always assuming the worst.

you are always parking your car where it doesn't belong, lit .and fig.
  • stike
    Options
    ...there's a reason it takes longer to become a licenbsed architect than it does to become a brain surgeon (true). one of the reasons i did not consider opening my own shop (when i left the corporate world) was the liability.

i know people that wouldn't dare to install a single pole switch themselves, but somehow feel qualified to do structural design.

hahaha
  • stike
    Options
    i'm sorry if you thought i was being a d!ck. but i would just offer that adding brick/stone veneer and countertops won't add anything structurally. and i wasn't saying the roof pitch was an issue, but that it just presented a high enough profile to give the wind enough area to be a problem if the post connections are weak. that's all. if you and your GC are fine, and the building inspector is fine, then it wouldn't be prudent to switch tracks and do anything i'm mentioning. but if it's a situation where people just "think" it'll be ok, then i'd suggest having someone local offer an opinion. it's a significant investment.

like i said, i am not trying yo diagnose anything from a thousand miles away, from a couple fotos, but i do happen to know a bit about this stuff.

as for Celtic Wolf, he is incorrect in assuming i was being negative, and i hope it's clear to you that i'm trying to help. it may be you don't WANT help (i never do, either), but it would be wrong for me to see something hinky and not say anything, or at least ask.
  • stike
    Options
    you don't know me at all. one isn't 'anal' when the issue is life/safety. sheesh.

i'm not anal. i'm being helpful. what irritates you here is that someone knows more about this than you. that's galling for you.

spend a few hours googling. start with "moment connection", then add in "lateral bracing". then come back and tell me i'm an idiot.