Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for my first eggperiance

Options
KickapooBBQ
KickapooBBQ Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My birthday present from my wife was the BGE. I need suggestions for the maiden voyage!! I'm so excited!

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Welcome to Eggin' and to the forum. You're going to love your Egg.

I'd suggest something not too hard, not too hot (lest you scorch your gasket) and very tasty:

Thick pork chops
    DSC00084.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Welcome to the "CULT"..Please don't run away. This chicken is easy and great. Also keep your dome temp under 350-375 for several cooks to allow the gasket to get used to you!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Ask her what she would like you to cook................if the worst comes to the worst ...the egg is very forgiving!!!!!!!!!!!! you´ll come out smelling of roses... :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Chicken is always good

chicken3.jpg

Then flowers for your thoughtful wife.

100_1610.jpg
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    If you are an experienced griller with a gasser or a charcoal grill. Take a short familiar cook, chicken or beef anything that takes less than 2 hours. You will be surprised when it tastes better.
  • axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Options
    Personally, my first real eggsperience was ribs. I had temp problems and realized at the last hour that i had no sauce or glaze!!!

They were a little overdone, and my lovely wife made a chiptle ketchup for dipping sauce (wasn't needed) they were AWESOME! Pick something your missus likes andstart from there.

Welcome to the Egg World!
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    I did simple hamburgers for my first cook and it remains one of my favorites. The burgers just taste so much better than they did on my gasser.

Good luck,

Braddog
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Congrats! You must have a super-fantabulous wife like mine:)

I just got my egg a few weeks ago and have cooked on it almost every day since. My first cook was doing the steaks like the video shows. Hard to go wrong.

I have smoked, bbq, and grilled since 2002 but just got my first egg last month. Since then I have made my personal best:

-ribs
    -ribeye steak
    -roast beef
    -jerk chicken
    -burgers
    -smoked chicken
    -filet mignon

You won't be disappointed!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I would suggest like a small pork loin. This allows you to keep the temp around 325 so you won't fry the gasket, you can also cook for about 1- 1 1/2 hours and will be good practice for temp control.

You might also consider fatties too. Get a roll of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, roll it in your favorite rub and smoke around 250 until it is about 170 inside.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Wow, first off, you are a lucky guy to have such a wife! I would suggest the Naked Whiz's Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken with a lemon-pepper spice rub (ideally Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree) as a wonderful yet easy first cook....

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Enjoy the Egg, and don't be afraid to use it like an oven for familiar favorites like meat loaf, baked potatoes, or casseroles, if you like such things, the touch of smoke adds a lot. It's a great all around cooker.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    I say to heck with play’n it safe. I'd read a few of the past words of wisdom on this site about set-up and temp control. Then go out and buy a nice 8 or 9 lb Butt. Pick out a good recipe and follow it to the 'T". It ain’t rocket science. Mostly common sense. Follow the recipe EXACTLY. You’ll have to do some extra babysitting while you’re getting used to temp control. If you can keep your Butt around 235 degrees for 15 hours, it is exactly the same as someone with 1000 cooks keeping their Butt at araound 235 degrees for 15 hours. The Butt won’t know it’s your first cook. It’ll come out fine.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I am with Scubadog on this one: Cook a butt! Mmmmmmmmmmmm........good! (and relatively straight forward and hard to mess up)
    Cory
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yep -- CraPaw and I are doing spatchcock & no-knead bread tomorrow --

And some taters...

...and some...

:laugh:

Enjoy!

~ Broc
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    We are both lucky men as our wife got us an Egg!! I think. :unsure: Somehow I find myself doing all the cooking now where it used to be the other way! Guys at work say she is a brilliant woman! :laugh: Do the old stand by: Beer butt chicken. Cook indirect 250 degrees dome temp for about 4 to 5 hr. till the breast temp is 165 degrees AT THE COLDEST PAST OF THE BREAST. That is the key for me on any repeatable cook is to getting the coldest point of the meat. You may need to pull/push the probe or even move it to find that. You will learn with practice. Make sure your not touching a bone when you take temp. If you do not have a meat thermometer stop and run to Wal Mart right now and get one cheap then start researching a good instant read ar remote to get in the future. NEW08051.jpg
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Kickapoo as in Houston area? For the first cook, I'd recommend some burgers, just so you can get a feel for the cooker.
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    Smoke a fattie for all your co-workers and make two for Steve and Luke :laugh:
    Congrats on the grill Joe!!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I would not cook a thing. I would fill the Egg with lump and learn how to control the temps for 250, 350 and 500 degrees. Then by the weekend you could be on the way to happiness, full bellies and smiles.