Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Experiment Gone Not-So-Good..

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had what I thought was the astounding idea of using crabmeat in preparing ABTs! Went out and bought a container of Backfin crabmeat, jalapeno peppers and cream cheese (with onions & chives). While putting everything together, I tasted a bit of the crab. Good grief, I thought! There wasn't the slightest taste of crab in the damn stuff! Gotta explain.. It was the "Phillips" brand, pasteurized, and from from Vietnam 8 - ( Having made the commitment, I stayed on course and continued with the prep work. The peppers, cheese & bacon combo, as always, was a savory treat. Unfortunately, that pricy crab meat turned out to be a joke (on me, I guess). Tomorrow I'll tell the Publix manager that it was the worst purchase I ever made there! A few weeks ago I made ABTs with smoked salmon and sun-dried tomatoes, and they rocked! Anyway, here's a pix of my crabmeat-less ABTs!

ABTs2.jpg

Rascal

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that they didn't turn out that good,but keep on eggsperimenting. ;)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thank you! Guess it's all part of the big, green, learnin' curve! 8 - 0

Rascal
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Crab meat doesn't pack enough flavor for my tastes, try a shrimp next time. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i love crabmeat ABTs. trick is not to get the pricey lump meat. the shreddier stuff mixes really well with cream cheese, and infuses the mix.

if i split the jalapenos down the middle, like boats, i may put a piece of lump or two on top of the crabby-cream-cheese too. but for my money, the stuff in smaller bits works better to deliver the flavor when mixed into the cheese...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Yeah..that's what I love about egging though..NO eggsperiment is a total loss..even the leftovers are just wonderful! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Had a similar eggpierence with the Vietnamese crabmeat only it was with stuffing mushrooms. Not a lot of taste to the crabmeat even though I mixed with italian breadcrumbs, other seasonings and butter. They were okay but lacked the flavor of boiling the crabs yourself with crab boil and they were a little dry as well.