Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking With Wood

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not a big fan of a lot of smoke in my food but I'm curious about the subtle effect of wood. I've got a slew of untreated, cedar siding shingles from an on-going project on hand and wonder if they'd be appropriate for cooking. Cedar has a pleasant aroma in my closets but not sure about in my food. Anyway, I'm still willing to give it a try. Question is, would salmon be a good place to start, and if so, skin on or off? Sure wish I had a good source for the fresh lake, river or ocean varity, rather than the farm-raised stuff...

Thanks for any help, Rascal

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Salmon and cedar go together like beer and pretzels.I prefer to keep the skin on. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cedar is a softwood, and resiny. about the only thing it's good for (i mean, you'd NEVER smoke a butt with it) is to introduce a little 'style' smoke to salmon, or other oily, strong fish.

planks are generally soaked to delay the smoke (think of it as more a homemade platesetter), with the added benefit that toward the end of the cook, the wood will dry out and you'll get a little hint of smoke. just as if you add it to your fire in the fireplace, if it burns in any good amount, you'll get creosote and a host of bad flavors/smells. it's really only intended to be used in a minor role.

too much smoke, like from a dry plank smoking throughout the cook, would give you an acrid, resiny, piney horrible flavor. but just a little, at the end, i find works with the fattier, fishier fish.

i cannot imagine any pork or beef that would benefit from it, though.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    ...by the way.
    i have untreated cedar shingles too. i use them for planking salmon. trim off the thin end, soak (weighted) in your sink for at least a half hour, and good to go.

one brown paper grocery bag full has lasted a few years, and i have most of them left.
  • Rascal
    Options
    Thank you! I assume if you scrub them a bit afterwards (like cleaning a cast iron pan) they're good for another cook or two?

Rascal
  • stike
    Options
    maybe. with a bag full, i 've gone a couple years. i can't imagine you'd need to reuse them.
    besides, the fish oil and fat get into the pores. when done, toss 'em, and move on!
  • Rascal
    Options
    I hear ya. Thanks!

Rascal