Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon & warm plate question

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love saving money by trimming my own filet's from a beef tenderloin. My local market sells tenderloin for half of what they charge per pound for filet mignon. Plus, the "chain of bull" that you trim off of the side makes great philly cheese steaks if you trim it closely and pound it flat with a mallet.

I cut 4 filets tonight, tied them and seasoned them with my steak rub (although S & P alone are good too!).

100_7839Small.jpg

Then I tossed them on the egg at 600f for 3 minutes one side, 3 minutes the other side, flipped once more and then shut it down, waiting until the remote probe thermometer hit 130.

100_7845Small.jpg

Next time, I will probably go more like 4 minutes per side but pull off at 125 internal.

Question: I love Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, it was the first place I ever had a properly done filet. One of their tricks, besides their high temp sear, is serving on warm or even hot plates. Has anyone tried that at home, or do you think it's only a gimmick?
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments