Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Mad Max - Burgers

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Max - I know you've posted about your slow roasted burgers before, but I haven't been able to find a full description of your time, temp, and set-up and want to try it tonight. Would you mind posting? Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    He is probably hanging out getting the "V" post ready.

Is this the one you seek?

Beef, Italian Hamburger Slices

I was flipping through the channels last night and i guess emeril had a contest for the superbowl where folks sent in recipes for their favorite stuff for the super bowl, and one of the winners was this guy from mississippi making these humongous cheesburgers on long italian loaves. ...damn things looked fantastic (both when the guy did them at home and when emeril made it in his studio). ..i'm not sure about the mint leaves in there, but the rest of it sounded great. .combination of burger, italian sausage, anchovies, garlic, onions, etc. . . .anyway, i'm planning on them for the super bowl now and here is the recipe ... .

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tin anchovy fillets
    1 package spicy Italian sausage
    2 lbs fresh hamburger meat
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Lettuce or spinach, for garnish
    Thinly sliced tomato, for garnish
    For the Bread:
    1 loaf Italian sweet bread or other good Italian bread in classic loaf
    3/4 clove garlic, minced
    1 small onion, finely minced
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Procedure:
    1 Preheat the grill.
    2 Smash the anchovies into a paste with the back of your knife or a mortar and pestle. Remove the Italian sausage from its casing and add to a large bowl with the hamburger meat, smashed anchovies, onion, mint, garlic, Italian spice, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients well.
    3 On a clean work surface, or a cutting board covered with plastic wrap, pour out the meat mixture and shape into a flat rectangle approximately the width of the loaf of bread and about 1 inch thick. Cook's note: You can make the rectangle a bit larger than the loaf of bread since the meat will shrink slightly during cooking.
    4 Cut the flattened hamburger in half, making 2 large patties for grilling. Place the patties on the preheated grill and cook until the ground meat reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees F.
    5 To prepare the bread, first saute the garlic cloves and minced onion in olive oil until they soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cut the loaf in half horizontally through the center to create 2 long pieces, top and bottom halves of the loaf. Paint the inside of each piece of bread with the oil mixture, coating them well. Remove the burgers from the heat and hold on a covered plate. Place the 2 bread halves on the coals, painted side down, to toast.
    6 To serve, place the burger patties on half of the toasted bread, add the lettuce and tomato slices, if using, and then top with the other half of the bread and cut into 1- to 2-inch slices.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish, Sandwich

Recipe Source
    Author: Ben Marascalco

Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 02/02/07

Emeril Live Emeril's Football Contest
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Sounds yummy! About the sausage, .... 2 pounds?

Thank you, Rascal
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    That is a Mad Max question, since it is his recipe. I would guess 1-2 lbs. it says 1 package. Most of my stores have them in 1# packages.
  • for regular burgers i like to add a little worschteshire sauce to 80/20 ground beef (or if you can get it, ground brisket). .. make 1/2 pound (or larger) patties, the season pretty liberally with your rub of choice (i like dizzy raising the steaks or cowlick, ken stone's witchy red, or my current favorite - mrs dog chipotle salt). . ..then i set up a my with a high grid direct (if you ahve a woo ring or adjustable grate you can go with that or a grid extender set on the regular grid) ..then i get my egg going at around 300 - 350 dome temp and simply grill the burgers for about 10 -15 minutes per side on the high grid until done. .. . \

oh yeah, and most importantly . . .never EVER press down on your burgers and squeeze the juices out of them. ..

yummy .

btw. ..that italian burger recipe that richard posted is also very good. .. .and it is 1 pound of sausage to one pound of burger. .. .
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Max, it's nice to know you're lurking out there! B)