Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops - how the mighty have fallen

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The honeymoon is over. The first four meals I made in the first four days of having an Egg went flawless. Perfect. Sans problemo.

I was confident...hell, I was cocky! B) I had gone from smoking on an offset to an egg and hadn't had the first problem.

Tonight, my fifth meal was less than stellar. First the good news....the food still came out tasting great:
100_7835Small.jpg

I had major problems with fire control. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I didn't have the temp stablized enough at the high temp, leading to the temp spikes up and down and even a flame up. Plus I think I had the firebox filled up a little too high. I've learned. I'll improve. The result was underdone chops at first, put them back on and they came out a touch overdone for my tastes.

For the chops, I seasoned them up with some Billy Bones comp rub. In the last few minutes, I glazed them with this glaze, a slight modification from Dr. Howard L. Taylor, Dallas Texas as published in the Dec 2007 National Barbecue News (Page 9).

1/2 cup Honey
2 tablespoon Lime juice
3 tablespoon Brown sugar
1/2 cup Beer
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Red pepper ground

100_7834Small.jpg

The bacon wrapped green bean bundles were simply green beans partially cooked by steaming wrapped in bacon that was also partially cooked. Toothpick (didn't know that could be a verb, did ya?) each bundle to hold them together during the cook. I rotated them and basted them with a mixture (3/4 cup beef broth & 3 Tb brown sugar). I'll have to tweak the recipe around since it wasn't meant for an Egg specifically.
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Sure looks like I could choke it down. Looks like a nice job from Texas!

Mike
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Absolutely agreed!

Come cook at my house any time!

~ B
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Nice cook! Great idea about the beans. Those look killer. I will definitely be trying that.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    good lookin stuff swib...thanx for the pix! always lookin for someway to juice up the green beans..will def try it!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Chris, As Meatloaf says "2 out of 3 an't bad". 4 out of 5 is great. I feel your pain. Let me tell you it will only get worse if you truley seek the way of the charcoal. The better I get the more critical I become. See my post earler "Egg sacrifice". I cooked my chops 4 degrees to long on purpose to make sur NO PINK MEAT IN THE CHOPS for my partners wife and still bothering me that I "over cooked" them.lol Your pics look great and I really appreciate the time you took to type out how you did them. Got to try the beans! You are well on your way! ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ah, the honeymoon never ends! Today will be the 14th Valentine's Day with my lovely wife (Yes, the wife who.....) and it just keeps getting better. Frankly, if it gets much better, my cardiac system is going to..... OH WAIT! You are talking about the food! LOL!

When I do chops, I do them like steaks: Sear and Roast. There really is no such thing as stabilizing temps at really high temperatures. (Sometime, you can put a 1000 degree thermometer in your Egg and open the vents and let her rip, then watch the needle rise and fall, rise and fall.)

But as others have said, the photo looks spectacular, so keep up the good work, and get back to work on the honeymoon!
    The Naked Whiz