Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WMK?WPB-E_MAIL SECURITY

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have received several e-mails from forum members recently and all stated that if I responded it would reveal my e-mail address.
This week I received one that stated the same, but it also included the e-mail address of the sender.

Is this a glitch? I was under the impression that e-mail addresses of forum members were secure. Please advise!
Thanks
Hammer

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if they send to you, you can see theirs. if you respond, they can see yours.

just like 3rd grade behind the barn
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hammer
    Options
    I loved the reference of out behind the barn. My concern is this. I was sent an e-mail by another forum member utilizing the e-mail address on the Profile page. When the forum member sent it; the message also included that members e-mail address. IMO no security there for the sending member since it revealed the sending members e-mail address.
    Sometimes the e-mail from the BGE does not include the senders e-mail address; which is ok with me.
    The lack of consistency could be a problem, and security is compromised.
    Thanks
    Hammer
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Sounds reasonable that it would show their address so you would at least know who might be sending you spam or obscene stuff. No "blind" sending something.
  • Hammer
    Options
    I see the point that both you and Stike are making; but why the inconsistency of sometimes sending it and sometimes not.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Hammer
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Hammer,

I'm not sure exactly what you received, and, we'll have to look deeper into it.

But when I click the "send email" link in a profile, it indicates, just above the "submit" button on the email form that, "If you continue your email address will become available to the user who you are emailing." That suggests to me that, at least currently, the emails sent this way *do* contain your email address.

We could make this more secure, but only by disabling replies altogether; or, by providing a link in the email to respond that would go to the same form that you used to send the message. This would require that the user log in to reply as well -- but it could be done.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think it's always there. all you have to do is click 'reply' to the message, and in the new blank email that comes up, you will see their email addy.

of course, you don't have to actually send your reply.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    IMHO that's over-kill. The way it is now, the forum can boast that it does not reveal e-mail addresses. Only when one responds to one of the forum generated e-mails, does he reveal his own e-mail address...but at least we know by then who we're responding to.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Sorry Sundown,

I put my post in the wrong place...meant to answer WMK's post.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If someone sends me an email through the forum, I want to be able to know who its from. They won't get my addy unless I choose to reply. Sounds good to me. -RP