Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cannot get temp up, does not reach 600F

Options
MarkA
MarkA Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1. Cleaned out all ash.
2. Removed and checked grate.
3. Insured firebox holes clear.
4. Filled w/ first rate, chunk charcoal.
5. Used fire starter sticks, no fluids.

I CANNOT :huh: for the life of me get my Egg to 600 F to cook steaks. What am I doing wrong, it just does get that high.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Start you fire in two to three places leave the lower vent wide open and the rain cap off no daisy wheel and stand back. Oh, be sure the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. Good luck
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    As previously stated leave the bottom wide open and the top off. My small sometimes takes 20 minutes or so. seems to me slow ,but works. Make sure the grate is not covered with little oieces of charcoal to clog the holes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you using "Lump" charcoal? You probably are but if you're not that might be why.

I really don't know why it's not getting up there.
    You've done everything I would suggest and Sundown just mentioned starting in (3) places.

The only other thing I can suggest is giving it enough time.. Sometimes If I'm not getting good airflow or if the lump is slow to burn It might take 20 - 30 minutes to get up there.

Since I switched from starter cubes to paper towel & oil, I noticed my fires have been working better. Quicker up to temp and sometimes up to 650-750 in as little as 10 - 15 minutes.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Had a senior citizen moment. Have you checked your thermometer? SOME just don't want to go that high.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Nearly time for our first New England EggFest, Chowdah & Marching Society meeting at Freds! I can feel it in the air!

(How's that for being positive?)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Airflow thru the lump is key. I've noticed that if I have a lot of little lump in the mass, so that the lump itself blocks the air, the fire does top out around 600.

Having the Egg dry helps too. If the Egg has absorbed a lot of water from sitting out in the weather, the water vapor holds down the temp while it burns off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Charcoal dust can also clog you up.

Sundown- Excellent effort to stay positive on this dismal morning. I think Fred's season won't open till April. Not to worry, I'm keeping an eye out and will let you know.

I heard a rumor that Fred came out on Feb 2nd, saw his shadow and went back inside for 6 more weeks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the paper towel thing gets me to 750 in 15 minutes at most, lit in two spost. trick is NOT to soak the napkin. just enough oil to make it translucent.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    How much charcoal are you using? Is it up to the top of the firebox? Up to the holes in the firebox?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bjvanm
    Bjvanm Posts: 25
    Options
    The only time I have had troubles getting above 600 is when I have a lot of small pieces and dust.
  • pyro
    pyro Posts: 47
    Options
    I vote for checking the thermometer (as suggested by Richard). If all the vents/ports are clear it should get up close to ~700. Be careful, risk of flashback and burnt gaskets go up as the temp goes up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    did you clean under and behind the fire box, firebox needs to be removed a couple times a year to clean behind it. opening on fire box needs to be aligned with the vent. lump needs to be filled above fire box into the ring area. daisy wheel needs to be placed on the table, not just opened on the dome. bottom vent wide open. then its just a matter of waiting it out, the large will climb to 900 if you let it on a steady pace, then it will shoot up to about 1100 after a little while. small eggs dont go as high, they take about twice as long as the large to get to 700, and i don think mine has ever gone to 800 dome.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Make sure the ntch in the bottom of your firebox is lined up with the bottom draft door. There is a lot of good advice above. I have no problem getting to 750 in my large with the bottom door open and the daisy wheel completely off. You will get there, just keep checking in here and trying.

TC
  • MarkA
    MarkA Posts: 6
    Options
    Here is what I have found/done:

1. Went to my dealer and looked at a clean and not full of charcol egg. Determined that my firebox opening was in line w/ bottom vent.

2. I used a bag of lump that had some much smaller pieces.

3. I am gonna completely clean out my egg and replace with large lump.

4. Will do as directed and remove the rain cap and damper when goin' for high heats.

Thanks All for Advice!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    When you do all that keep a good eye on it because it should take about 15 minutes to get to 350 or 400 but after that it will take off fast :ohmy: If you see blue flames shooting out the top and the temp still reads 600 I would check your thermometer :woohoo: