Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help: I think I'm running out of lump.

BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all, this is a first for me and I hope you can shed some light.

I have about 16 pounds of boston butt on the grill since 12:30 am last night. The grill was a steady 250 when I put them on.

At 7 am dome temp was down to 195 and I have been able to keep it steady at 240-260 all day without incident.

A little over an hour ago I noticed I was down to 195 again. I slowly made some adjustments without a lot of change....Then made some big changes and it came up to 200 or 205 but for the last 15 minutes I have had the lower damper open all the way, the top vent about half open with the daisy all the way open. No change to temps though. I have probed the bottom grate to move ash.

If the temp starts to drop, I assume I have to add more lump...any advice?

Does one lift out the grid with meat on top, then pull everything else, dump fresh lump in and wait for "clear" smoke before putting the butt back on...

Should I put it in the oven while I wait for the smoke to clear?

By the way, the pork is at 188.

I find this odd as I have always had lot's of leftover lump after a cook like this.

T :pinch:

Comments

• Yes BlueRidge put your meat in the oven while you reload your egg with lump and wait for the smoke to clear.
    I have never done boston butt before but I’m sure that’s what others would do if they were to advise.

I’m sure you will get other responses soon.

AuntieEgger
  • Thanks! :ohmy:

The temp had dropped 10 degrees in just the last 10 or 15 minutes! I had already moved the pork to the oven (it just seems wrong to use an oven when egging!) at 245. The lump is in the egg and white smoke is billowing out the top!

This bag of bge lump had some odd things about it. There was non-charcolized lump...charcol like on the outside and woody in the middle. There were bunches of white stuffing stuff that looked like insulation. There were cement like things or rocks. And now the lump burned out faster than ever before. Hmmmmmmm.
  • BlueRidge

That is a lot of 'crap' in one bag of lump. I have seen some rock, cement in different bags but nothing like you describing.

GG
  • I figured it was one that slipped through quality control that day! I've never had a problem with bge lump before and my local guy has it at a great price. I'm not too worried just thought it pretty odd.