Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cin Chili

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first batch for the Superbowl. Using top sirloin, rotel, beef broth and charred poblano peppers (AZRP recipe). Has anyone used any wood in the fire while cooking? A few years back, B.E. (before Egg), I smoked the meat before adding it to my chili. Came in 3rd in a Chili Cookoff, so I guess it was pretty good. Just wondering how it would taste smoking the whole pot. Any and all opions appreciated!

Fluff

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The smoke flavor you get from cooking with smoke on the egg in a dutch oven, will be slight at best. Your original idea of cooking the meat on the egg will add the most smoky flavor IMHO. That's what I do; I feel it adds a lot of depth to the flavors, as the chili melds.HTH.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I did mine in a dutch oven and it came out great. Your idea of using the sirloin is right on. I think it is so much better than hamburger meat. It had plenty of smoke flavor because we did not put the cover on it and used hickory wood. One word of caution - be sure to use the no salt sauce. Her package mix can get very salty and ruin your batch of chili.
    Spring "loves her chili" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I had forgotten about the salt issue. I am planning using Penzey's beef base, which to me is not that salty. Thinking about cooking with uncovered for 2 hours with smoke and then covered for 2 more.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I covered mine after 2 hours because it was developing too much of a crust. -RP