Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get an egg to/in UK

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know how to get an egg to the UK?

BGE themselves gave the contact details of a couple of distributors - one in Holland and one in Ireland (Eire) but didn't know of any dealers in England.
Any ideas of how I might get one shipped? I tried one outfit but they didn't hold out hope for rither the cost or the risk of breakage.
Any ideas? Last time I saw one on offer here it was 3 times the US price.
Maybe I could become a smalltime dealer to fund my habit?......isn't that how they all start?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
James.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    When my Egg arrived it was well packed for handling and would survive typical handling with forklifts, etc. All the pieces were surrounded by styrofoam and the dome was upside down and nested in to the base. I wouldn't want to see the box dropped though or jammed up against a bulkhead with another heavy package.

Just for kicks, I checked how much a 100 package (medium weighs 95 pounds) would cost by UPS from Louisiana to Scotland. $920 - suck wind!! Maybe there are other shipping methods that are not as expensive but I'm not a logisitics guy - perhaps someone on the forum may know of a better way.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yeah, for that kind of money he could buy a plane ticket during the offseason and fly it back to the UK with him. Someone, a long time ago, explained how they got a small over to the UK in checked luggage. He disassembled it and packed it very very securely in two big Rubbermaid tubs.

How's this for a scenario? He flies to RDU on the non-stop from Gatwick. I'll have the small all packaged and ready to go. He gets here about 4, has a beer on me, checks back in and takes the 7pm flight back to Gatwick! Now that sounds like a pleasant way to spend a day and a half, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Check with a ship cargo shipping company. I know that was how we used to ship wine into the UK; then trucks.
    Good luck!
    Hammer
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I did something close to that but the opposite way two times. Once to London and once to Paris

Houston to Gatwick - changed in the Gatwick airport
    Train in to town
    Taxi to an all day meeting
    Taxi to dinner at an Italian resturant
    Taxi to Hard Rock Cafe for t-shirts for the lads
    Train back to Gatwick
    Crashed (shouldn't use this term while traveling) at a hotel at the airport
    Fly back to Houston first thing the next morning

Houston to Paris
    Taxi to Hotel for a quick change
    Sign contract and make presentation - first time I drank champagne on the job while doing a presentation
    Dinner at an outside cafe
    Show at Crazy Horse Saloon (nice - all in good taste) :whistle:
    Walk back up Champs Ellysees stopping for a pint at every open cafe - thank God 2 am came quickly
    Crashed in the Hotel
    flight back to Houston

Much younger when I did that - I think I could do it now if I had to. :ermm:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    James,

I just talked with BGE about how to get an egg in the UK. The person I needed to talk with is in a meeting. They said they would get back with me.

I will post when/if I get any information for you.

The person I talked with 'thought' the Netherland contact was a distributor. Distributors then sell to dealers. Dealers sell to the public. I am not sure if a distributor would also sell directly to the public.

Our common practices over here may not be the same practices over there.

That is an interesting idea about having a business or setting up a business that would sell eggs.

The eggs are heavy but 3 times the cost of here seems to be over the moon. Shipping would be expensive but not near the cost of an egg.

The Pound is double (or more) the value of the Dollar which should be an advantage ot you.

I have no idea how much duty would be with something like an egg from the US to the UK or the UK to Netherlands and then to the UK.

Then there would be VAT which if I recall corectly is about 17%

Kent
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Buy a second seat on the plane. put a wig on it and some makeup and wheel it down the isle in the nest( tell them it is a childhood problem) and tell anyone that asks about the green that you just got off of a cruise and your girl is still sea sick..............

Sorry i couldn't resist. Good luck on the task.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    He could have a beer with both of us. I bet we could pack him up a Large. I think 125 pound per bag is the limit on international flights. Break down the large and it will be well below that.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Hmm - that beer sounds nice (do you have beer in the US ;) ).
    I can see it now - "did you pack those bags yourself......if you could just remove your shoes...."
    Many years back my brother got married in BC, Canada and they were planning to ship their belongings until they added up the baggage allowances of us family travelling from the UK, it was amazing how much Air Canada allowed us to bring back.

Seriously though I have a supplier in Toronto - I would ask them to add one to a shipment but we're not on the closest fo terms at the moment as they have disappointed us recently.
    I'll talk to a shipper this end to see if it would be possible. Yes VAT is 17.5% and I don't know what the rate of duty, if any, on barbecues is (solid fuel cooker?).
    It's amazing what seems sensible. Oh and first you all convince me to get a Med rather than a Small and next your planning a large (though there may easily be one in my future, who knows).
    btw TNW I like the Jeremy Clarkson attribution to your sig - did he really quote your site?
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    James