Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison HELP!

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine brought me over a variety of venison cuts to smoke for our poker game tomorrow night. There is a hind quarter (bone in) and a hind quarter (deboned), as well as some tenderloins and a front shoulder. Does anyone have any idea how to cook any of these? Which should I do first? How long? To what temp? I have never done venison before and don't want to mess ths up, it looks like some good meat. Thanks for any asistance!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one that works for me.

Venison, Ham, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1 1/2 Lbs Venison, Boneless Ham
    Italian Salad Dressing
    Garlic

Preparation
    1 Marinated overnight in Italian Salad Dressing. Took out 1 hour before cooking and sprinkled garlic powder over the meat.
    Cooking
    1 BGE 350°F indirect, handful cherry wood chips. Cooked 1 hour 10 minutes for 150°F internal. Let rest for 10 minutes..

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 04/30/07
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    The tenderloin also called the backstrais delicious.See the following for a good recipe The backstrap is cut into individual filets,
    (See AlaskanC's Blueberry BBQ sauce and my follow up on 11/15/07. Blacken to med-rare and serve with a cranberry or dark cherry sauce and top with crumbled bleu cheese.) Janet