Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seal

Options
Hugh Does Cue
Hugh Does Cue Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question.

How does one know when one has to replace one's seal?

I have a spare one at the ready and think I understand the best way to do it thanks to fellow forum posters. But haven't seen any words of wisdom on when we should replace the old flat one for a new seal.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    If I would have to guess and this is only a guess. It's most likely when you get bored and are looking for something to do. No,,,,, just kidding. I replaced mine after I was unable to maintain a low and slow with out some difficulty. The other problem I was experiencing was difficulty in extinguishing the lump after a cook.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    When his flippers wear out?

Oh! You're talking about the gasket! Sorry! :P

Braddog
  • Essex County
    Options
    My large egg is about 5 years old and still has the original gasket...or at least the remnants of a gasket. It's pretty smushed and brittle, but it hardly leaks and I have no problem holding low temps. As long as you can hold the temps you're looking for, I'd leave it alone.

Paul