Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow up to short burn times

Options
Cory430
Cory430 Posts: 1,073
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all,
Thanks to all that offered help(Mike in Abita, Grandpa, and Fla. Poolman to name but a few). I said that I would continue to update, so here goes. I have followed the advice and also done some more research and here is where I am at at this point.

1. The dome thermometer was in fact calibrated correctly
2. There is NO leak in the Med. Egg
3. I believe that ambient temp, lump brand, fire construction, fire lighting, and amount of lump were all factors in my short burn times (3-4hrs, Medium Egg)

At this point, the longest cook that I have done since the earlier post (which was about a 12hr cook), has been about 6.5 hours. I acheived that burn time relatively easily and still had some lump leftover. However, I still do not believe that I could have had a burn time of anymore than 8-9hrs (but that is just a guess).

Here are some of the factors that were different in the most recent cook.

1. MUCH warmer. The ambient outside temp was aroung 40 at the start of the cook and only dropped to around 25 by the end of the cook (vs a high of 15 and a low below zero in the earlier cooks).
2. I used much more lump. I filled half way up the fire ring vs only filling to the top of the fir box.
3. I was much more careful in the loading of the lump instead of simply dumping out of the bag.
4. I lit the lump (with cubes) in 3 spots along the outside edge of the coals to achieve a more even burn.
5. I am still using Cowboy, as that has been all that I have been able to find here in Co. and I have very little time to go searching for more.

Again, thanks SO MUCH for all of the help and I will continue to keep ya'll updated :)
An Eggin Fool,
Cory

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    my guess is 2 and 3 had the real impact.

ambient temps have never been an issue here (boston area) and that swings from 100s down to below zero.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cory430
    Options
    I agree. It certainly makes sense that more lump, stacked for more volume and better burn consistency would equal longer burn times.

Thanks,
    Cory
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Cory,

Nice response. I have only had my medium for a few weeks so I have no long time cook experience on that size.

I do fill my large to the top of the fire ring when doing L&S. In the spring or as soon as bbq'n stuff begins to show up in your area to to Walmart. They will have Royal Oak (same as BGE) I bought 200 to 300# when WM was closing out the summer stuff. Some of our Home Depot's have a few bags of Cowboy.

For a test go to your BGE dealer and pick up a bag of BGE and give that a try. The medium doesn't hold all that much lump so do a cook or a test to find out.

BGE out here Salt Lake area cost from $21 to now #26 a 20# bag. Thankfully, I loaded up on RO brand before the winter hit.

I had to go out an get another couple of bags and crap I am almost out of lump. I only have about 50 to 60# left. Oh brother.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Grandpa,
    WM is just now getting in their grillin stuff. I have been keeping an eye out, but so far all they have is a couple of brands of briquets (sp?). I will continue to monitor fo when the RO gets here. I am anxious to see about the difference in the lump. Again, thank you so much for your earlier help.

Cory
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    In the mean time can you get some BGE from your dealer (if there is one close).

Kent
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Where are you at in CO?
    I'm in the Springs and pleanty of brands throughout town.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Cory430
    Options
    I am in Castle Rock, but I work in the Springs. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cory
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Andys Meat Market has RO. It's on Platte Ave between Circle and Chelton. Just bought a bag on saturday. They have wood chunks too. There was a sign in the door saying visit our new website andysmeatmarket.com.
    Also Ace hardware in Uintah Gardens shopping center is a bge dealer, also one on the 24th or25th hundred block of Colorado Ave. called Mercantile bbq. Wally world is probably not stocked right now, but the one on platte and chelton occasionally has RO.
    Let me know if you need me to pick some up for you and we can figure out the rest.
    Hope that helps,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I'm only 2 blocks from that Wally world and Andys.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I posted this in another thread but will repeat it here. UPS said they would deliver on Wed.