Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Fav Steak Rig

kau-boy
kau-boy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Back home in HI and got to try my new toys last night. Put a BGE medium cast iron grill on the spider (in my large BGE), then the half rack on the adjustable rig. The sear is now several inches closer to the coals and the finish rack is 2" above ring level. Costco ribeyes, 2 1/2 minutes on each side with the egg roaring, then 5 minutes on the half rack with everything shut down. Medium rare to perfection...yum

The spider and adjustable rig arrived the same day as my platesetter. The platesetter is still in the box, wish I had never bought it. The rig, with the spider a pizza stone and a few cast iron platters (with handles cut off) does everything.

The third hand worked great for handling the cast iron grill. Pics when I learn how for the new forum.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Glad you are enjoying your new toyz! I bought a plate setter at octfest and it does have it's uses. It's tough to beat putting a za stone just above it for some good pizza. I think my most used toy is the adjustable rig I bought from TJV. It added so much versitility to my cooks and expanded my cooking real estate. Once I go the rig, I rarely use the plate setter. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks with your new hardware. Enjoy!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I too use the plate setter a lot less after getting the adjustable rig. I also like cooking higher up in the dome.

Kent
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Hi Kent,
    Yeah, you hit the nail on the head brother, higher in the dome, is precious space indeed! I'm curious, did you ever start making big batches of rub or are you still adding spices, one ingredient at a time?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I'm glad you finally got to take the shine off the stainless. One of my favorite things is to foil mushrooms and onions. Set the foil on the half grid maybe 10 minutes before searing, sear steaks, replace half with full grid and finish steaks with shooms/onion atop the Rig. When I finish the steaks, I typically just shut the egg down. Might need to flip the steaks once depending on how done you like 'em.....If you have a favorite smoke for steaks, around me it's mesquite, drop a small wood chunk on the cast iron grid. It should catch and provide a nice added touch.

The half grid comes in handy for other things too.

scallopscrab.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.