Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Angus Beef help

Options
Suck Creek Wings
Suck Creek Wings Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been offered 180 pounds of beef graded between choice and prime for $2.90 per pound. Apparently the cow went to the slaughter house today.

I don't have any experience with this topic. Can anyone let me know if that's a good price or if this is even worth doing.

Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's a good price if you know what the cuts will be... are you getting a side? would you be able to spec the way it's butchered (steaks vs. roasts, etc.)?

what's the down-low?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    Yes, we'd get to tell the butcher we want steaks, rib roast, whatever.

I don't have a lot of other info. This kind of fell in my lap. It's going to slaughter today or tomrorow. What about flavor? Presuming it gets packaged and frozen at the butcher and comes vac u sealed to me?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's the typical deal. usually they hang it and age it a week or two... ask about that.

careful with steaks. sometimes you ask for steaks and they are 3/4" thick. if you can really specify thicker, that's great. sometimes it's more of checking a box that says "steaks". if that's the case, ask for roasts and steak-ify them yourself (if you want steaks).

tell them you want the brisket, hanger, etc. if you can. most folks don't, and they end up with a ton of hamburger. make sure you know what you'll get, in terms of cuts.

fishless knows a lot more about this than i do. maybe he'll chime in

all comes down to how communicative yer processor/butcher is.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Do you know if that is on the hoof price or finished price? Like Stike said, be as specific as possible when telling them the cuts you want. Thickness of steaks, size of roasts, lbs per package of hamburger. The flavor should be just fine.

Mike