Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

very long pulled pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 6 lb boston butt has been on 23 hours and is just now to 190. Has anyone had one go this long. I started at 230 dome temp and know i had a few hours at 200, but most have been 230-240. This seems unusually long even for a butt. Any else ever have anything like this.

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    My longest was 23 hr:18 minutes. They can be contrary!
    Hang in there.
    Hammer
  • what temp do you use? is 230 dome temp to low? .i am using to themometers.
    I assume the meat will be ok.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I've gone 26 ad 28 hours before.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I've gone 26 ad 28 hours before.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's gone through the plateau a while ago. bump that thing to 300 and hurry it along.

225-230 doesn't add much benefit to the cook. only seems to add time. i've long ago switched to 250, minimum, bumping up after the plateau to 300 or so
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Georgia Chiro
    Options
    I went 25 hrs for my first butt. I prefer to cook higher and quicker now.
  • NitroSmoke
    Options
    I cook my butts at 350 to 375(grate). I inject with maple syrup, jack daniels, rub, and some apple juice. In my opinion, they are better when I quick cook them like that. I did both once and everyone who ate them said the one I did at 350-375 was better. I double foil at internal of 160 and pull at 197. Then in a cooler for 2 hours.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    HOSS450, I know we preach the 195 to 205 for pulled pork but as drbbq has tried to get us to understand - the important part of good pulled pork is to get it to stay forever in the 160-180 range. Once it goes above 180 it begins to lose moisture so ideally you would pull it at 181 after spending 20 hours in the 160-180 range. We typically let it go higher because we have not left it long enough in the magic range to render all the fat out. You might want to give it a fork test once it seems to have cooked long enough. If the meat twists easily and the temp is above 180, you're good to go. If you were able to keep the temp down to around 220 you might be good at 190.

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    This seems really, really long to me. The rule of thumb for a low-temp butt cook like yours is 2 hours per pound, and you're already at double that. I do mine a little warmer - around 275* - and they take right at 1.5 hours per pound. Like another has said, see if the meat is loose...it's gotta be done.
  • HOSS450,
    I have had butts of similar size go 17-20 hours and have pulled several at 190 with grat results. It helps to wrap it in foil after you take it off and make sure you "rest" it for at least an hour to an hour and a half.