Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really Frozen Shut

Options
ThrRoff
ThrRoff Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It.s 10 degrees on the patio here in Maryland, and my Large isn't going to open. I have put 3 parafin fire starters and some lit charcoal down the top, all to no avail. And, time for the ribs is passing. Any other ideas? I have though about hitting the area just above and below the gasket with a tourch, but I am kind of hesitant.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Go with the torch.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    some people hang a drop light down in the egg. but it may be a little late for that :ohmy:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd be afraid of a stress fracture using a torch. have you thought about using hot water or maybe a hair dryer on the parting line?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hair dryer down on the inside of the egg may be a good idea!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ThrRoff
    Options
    Thanks. I thought about that, but you are right. I need something soon. I think I am going to carefully torch........wish me luck. I don't want to replace the gasket.
  • ThrRoff
    Options
    Good points and good ideas. Thank. I don't think we even have a hair dryer any more. Stressing the ceramic is a very good point. I think I am going with a couple more fire starters and if that doesn't do it, its oven time.

Thanks to all.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Stick the lit torch in the lower vent pointing it towards the charcoal grate...."IF" there is any leftover lump in there it will light and thaw the egg....The exact reason I say, in the winter make sure you have some lump left in the egg after you'r done cooking....just for this reason...even if you have to add new lump after the cook....
  • ThrRoff
    Options
    Perfect. Many thanks. There is plenty of charcoal in it. Whew.......
  • WessB
    Options
    Glad to be of help...As you probably already found out, it may take a minute or 2 of holding the torch in there to get some lump lit....but it will work fine once you get something burning.....and is probably a lot better idea that taking the torch to the exterior ceramics...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ha d the same problem last night. I put charcoal in the bottom vent and dropped coals in the top  onto the grilland rolled up a lot of newspaper in through the top and lit both ends with mapp. Once the fire established it opened. Then i dumped what was on the grill into the firebox and It lit in no time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If this is a frequent problem, would non-stick aluminum foil between the mating surfaces be a possible solution?That way, even if the gaskets absorb some moisture (after shutdown), they won't freeze together and prevent opening of the lid.

Rascal
  • WessB
    Options
    That would absolutely work, if one was inclined to stick to doing it...I would most likely "forget"... :)
  • ThrRoff
    Options
    Thanks all. Turned out that some da... critter who got in the garage decided to make lunch out of my MAPP torch tube. Chewed right through it. Grrrrrr........ Ribs are in the oven. And, hoping I don't forget, I think I am going to start using the foil trick.
  • Never Summer
    Options
    It only takes a few times of having to thaw it out to start remembering! The foil is a lot easier than starting a fire in the bottom vent.

Patty