Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib eyes

Options
Hugh Does Cue
Hugh Does Cue Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pre-marinated, slightly larger than a hockey puck, about as thick. Pretty uniform in size and thickness.

I have a bag of 10 of these things sitting in the freezer. Don't have a clue where they came from or what they will taste like, but a rib eye is a rib eye is a ... Right?

Have had a bit of success with doing better cuts of leaner meat direct on the coals, but usually just a single strip loin at a time.

Question 1: 6 guys for dinner Sunday, will this be enough meat?

Question 2: Can I do the 'direct-on-the-red-coals' thing for 6 at once, or should I worry if there's any fat in the marinade which might affect flavour and/or cooking and that volume of meat?

Question 3: Generally I disklike commercially-prepared foods as they have too much salt and chemical tastes for me. But, this being a bunch of hockey-buddies, flame wins out over high-flavour. Any suggestions on sides or other things to hit the BGE for the lads?

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    The preferred method for cooking some steaks can be found here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    a. follow beanie-bean's link
    b. at the size of a hockey puck i would guess 4-6 oz. 1 would not be enough for a hockey player [imho] and you do not have enough for 2 each. some shrimp scampi or margarheta shrimp would give the lads a choice and guarantee you have enough Meat.
    c. baked potato, grilled asparagus and a big salad with bleu cheese dressing
    d. beer
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sounds like omaha steak filet mignon. you sure they are rib eye steaks? sometimes folks cut the eye of the rib eye, along the fat line. maybe that's what they are?

they sound small.

you might want to serve something else. i would eat two or three of them, and i'm no hockey player.

don't go direct on the coals. too many steaks. that would be a flare-fest, especially with the fat and marinade.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I for one, would not pull something unidentifiable out fo the freezer and serve. :) I would at least take 1 out and see what you got. I don't think it would be enough and I woudldn't try to them on the coals directly.
    I most generally have scampi and twice baked taters for sides.

Good luck,
    Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They aren't those cowboy ones are they. Really odd to see a rib eye marinated. The cowboy are part of the sirloin. They aren't bad but I wouldn't do a high temp sear on them.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My local butcher get's what it sounds like your describing. he pay's $1.39 each then marinates them & sells 2 for $10.00. Hope thats not what you have or your buddies may turn on you. He told me they were not high quality but good money maker.
    Pat
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I agree....these are probably filets. I did ribeyes last Sunday and the big ones were damn near 20oz each.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I have to agree with Mike on this. The eye can come from the chuck,rib or round. I would take one out and thaw it out and do it in a skillet inside to see what you are dealing with.It is either going to be lean or have fat content in the meat.Then you will know how to cook it.