Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with ham

Options
JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife found a fresh ham on sale and bought it for me. I've done a fresh ham before brined in Coca-Cola and it was good. However, I now want to make a cured ham. I've gotten the recipe and directions from the Dizzy Pig website. I can't find

Pickling Spice
Prague Powder #1 (aka Modern Cure)*

in any of the stores around here.(Warner Robins, GA). Is the net the best place to buy these things or is there a chain store that should carry them?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
John

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Pickling spice is found in the spice section of most grocery stores. Someone else may know about the other. Would a pharmacy have it? just thinking out loud.
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    JM3,
    I've cured a bunch of hams over the years. In these parts, Morton's Sugar Cure is what we use most now. Sometimes the grocery stores might carry it, but your best bet is to go to your Southern States Co-Op. But, I don't know where you live, so you may not have access to one of those. Not sure, but a Tractor Supply might have Morton's as well.

Now, way back in the day, we used nothing but salt. We would mix in some brown sugar and black and red pepper to keep the skippers out.

If your ham is cryopacked, you have some time to order your curing materials. Just check the Morton's website for the cure and curing instructions.

Next December when you slice into that ham, I hope you will report back to us. Do you intend to slice it once cured, or will you cook the whole thing?
    WA
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Prague Powder is available from the Sausagemaker at

www.sausagemaker.com