Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello from a new Egger...

Options
GatorFL
GatorFL Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to say hello to everybody on the forum. My name is Duane and I live in Wellington, FL.[p]All I wanted for Christmas was a Large Big Green Egg. The family came through for me! Had it delivered the other day, and I immediately grilled some burgers on it. I've never used a charcoal grill or a smoker before, (I've had a couple of Ducane gas grills though) so this is all new to me. [p]Looking forward to grilling and smoking on the Egg. Hope I learn a lot from the forum.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    GatorFL, Good choice! You're gonna love it! Open a Photo Bucket account (free) so you can post some pictures! BTW, where is Wellington?[p]Happy Eggin', Rascal

• GatorFL
    Options
    Wellington is west of West Palm Beach...polo country.....[p]I'm off to the store to accessorize the Egg :)
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    GatorFL, welcome to the flock. We have 24/7 coverage around here. Spring Chicken takes care of the midnight shift. The rest of (about 3000 or so) take the other 16 hours. some are better than others in typing.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    GatorFL,
    congrats on the egg!!! welcome to your new lifestyle!![p]you might want to check out a couple links
    Naked Whiz
    Wess B
    Thirdeye's Site[p]
    also you might want to keep your egg under the 400 degree mark for the first 8-10 cooks to make sure the adhesive gets a chance to "Cure"[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    GatorFL, whoa, I live in Polo country. Aiken SC.
    By the way there are some real experts on the egg down that I95 corridor. Richard,Eddie Mac, chef Paul J etc. etc.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    GatorFL,[p]Welcome...[p]Hope you'll be able to make it to the Florida Eggfest in March 2008. It's at Silver River State Park in Ocala and we'll be getting all of the information up on the website soon.[p]Tonia

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    GatorFL,
    Welcome to the madness that is EGGDOM. Might I suggest taking a look at a few sites. Naked Whiz has a lot of good general ceramic cooking tips. WessB has some useful info as well as Thirdeye. Recipes on all sites are taylored to the EGG. Good luck and check back often.[p]Mike

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    Haaaa... Midnight shift!!! Shoot, I just get up to do a plumbing check and end up checking the Forum before I climb back in bed. I don't think that constitues a "Shift" but if you say so LOL...[p]Anyway, Welcome GatorFL. You will soon be posting like crazy as each new dish comes off your Egg. You may as well start thinking "second Egg" because sooner or later most of us do. This is a delicious hobby.[p]Just ask this Forum anytime you have questions. It's one of the best things about owning an Egg.[p]Spring "Soon To Be A Nine-Year Egghead" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Wasted Words
    Options
    GatorFL,[p]Welcome to the forum. I'm just down the road in Deerfield. As I'm sure many in the forum will tell you get ready to hear the comment "that's the best xxxxx I've ever had". I prepared WessB's Christmas ham and received the comment several times last week and it never gets old. Have fun at the accessory store. Here's one to check out.

[ul][li]Egg Accessories[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    GatorFL,
    You won't regret it. I can proudly say I've never owned a gas grill :>)[p]I had a Smokey Joe at my apartment before we married and then got another one after marriage. Was looking for a grill like the old clay Kamodo that my dad had.[p]You've purchased the finest cooker out there in my opinion.[p]There are a lot of great cooks here as well. The ideas and inspiration will flow. I've got more things that I want to try that I've seen folks here doing than I have time to cook.[p]H

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    GatorFL,[p]Welcome! You'll love your egg and you'll love the support, help, and wisdom you will find here.[p]Get your digital camera ready. If you haven't figured it out already, we all love photos of each others' cooks.
  • GatorFL
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Thanks for the websites and the recommendation on curing the gasket. I found this forum via Naked Whiz but the other two are news to me.
  • GatorFL
    Options
    Fidel,[p]I'll have to take some pictures, thats for sure! I ordered (and received) my rubs from Dizzy Pig already and this weekend I want to try a pork shoulder for some pulled pork. I'll be searching the archives for hints later on today.
  • GatorFL
    Options
    Wasted Words,[p]I'm a Deerfield transplant, we moved up here for more space a few years ago. My wife works in Deerfield still (JM Family).[p]Thanks for the website.
  • GatorFL
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I'll see if I can make it. I am familiar with Ocala, I have a couple clients up there that I print magazines for. Plus I went to school right up the road in Gainesville. My other hobby is cars and that keeps me pretty busy in the winter months because it's better driving weather down here in FL.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Welcome from a fellow gator and UF grad. You ought to check out the BBQ cookoff this weekend in Felda. I think there may be some eggs in use there. If so, most folks will also be very open to talk about them and give you some advice to help you out.[p]I had a chance to visit with Dan from Big green eggs and ham at a contest. It helped me adjust cook times and temps and made things much better for ribs and brisket.[p]Feel free to ask any questions here. You can also use the search function at the bottom of the page to look up past subjects. There are many things that people are going to help with that always come up with new eggers. With a few minutes spent searching, you may also find very detailed answers in the past archives about the same subjects.[p]Gene[p]