Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp for rack of lamb? (real time help please)

CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have two racks tied in a crown roast. What temp would you roast them at indirect? I was thinking 400 but didn't want to go too high.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    CT Grillguy,
    rack of lamb LOVES 400,as long as you like rare.[p]if they are trimmed and don't have that thick layer of fat, they'll cook fast as long as "done" to you is 130-135.[p]can't give you a definitive, but it certainly won't be an hour and a half.[p]toss the thermo in the meat, put it on at 400, 450, and keep an eye on it. take it off at 125-130 if you want 130-135. the trimmed (i.e. frenched) racks are small and will continue to rise after taking them off, but they won't go another 10 degrees if i remember correctly.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • CT Grillguy,[p]I do them indirect 350-375, pull around 135-140. Just pulled a boneless leg of lamb, 325 indirect. 1 hour 20 minutes. about 145F. thick

• stike,[p]Thanks guys,[p]We like them on the rare side. There is a bit of fat on the inside of the circle, so perhaps a quick flash of direct heat at the end to crisp that up a bit. Probably shouldn't bother with the crown but I want it to look fancy!